1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass insurance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geddy402, Aug 20, 2012.

  1. geddy402


    Jul 20, 2012
    What's the best way to insure your basses? I have a few basses ranging from $2500-$800...none of them are super rare but I would be really disappointed if something happened to them. I heard a personal articles policy is a good way to go under a home owner's policy, but wanted to see if you guys (gals) had any ideas. Thanks for the help!
  2. Stick_Player

    Stick_Player Banned

    Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    If you have a home owner's policy, you should get a separate rider. There will most likely be restrictions. If you are a professional musician, you would need a separate pro-musician policy.

    Taking the instruments out of your home could present problems with a separate rider. Check what the rider will cover. A pro policy might be required.

    A simple homeowner's policy will probably let you down. Don't expect auto insurance to cover any theft from your car, either.

    Check MusicPro out.
  3. nixdad


    Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. JehuJava

    JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

    Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    USAA has a high value item insurance that covers things your renters or home owners doesn't. Its specifically for high dollar items like music equipment and other things like jewelry, etc. I'm in the process of getting a policy for my Elrick and other bass gear. It's pretty cheap too. Maybe your insurance company offers that type of coverage?
  5. makaspar

    makaspar Supporting Member

    Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've had a instrument-specific personal articles policy for about 15 years through state farm. It did cover theft from my car in '98..

    I just updated my insured items last month, and noticed an exception - "policy holder agrees not to use items in public performance" or something to that effect..

    I'll be checking out pro-coverage tomorrow..
  6. I'm not really sure, but you may wanna check to see if your homeowners insurance would cover them. It does if something happens to them while they're in your dwelling. But, as for a theft outside of the home, I have no inkling. Just an idea to help.
  7. Yeah, too bad to have USAA you either need to be military or a military dependent. (Lucky me)
  8. jay loren

    jay loren Supporting Member

    Apr 9, 2011
  9. JehuJava

    JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

    Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah me too!
  10. geddy402


    Jul 20, 2012
    Good call about the outside the house stipulation. My main concern is to protect it in my house in case water gets in the basement or swiped.

    Thanks for the help, I'll give my insurance a call tomorrow and weigh my options.
  11. MostlyBass

    MostlyBass Supporting Member

    Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Check out Clarion insurance. I heard about them here and switch my state farm personal articles policy to them.
  12. lowfreqguy


    Oct 18, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Check out musicproinsurance.com.
  13. jasonmasters


    Dec 18, 2008
    or you could just get a tracking device put in them. i'm pretty sure carvin does that... now i'm curious
  14. Angus

    Angus Supporting Member

    Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    They do, but doesn't mean if they get stolen you'll necessarily get them back.

    Like lo-jack with an expensive car, it's not a good insurance policy...but some insurance policies will require you have it just to GET insured.
  15. jasonmasters


    Dec 18, 2008
  16. jasonmasters


    Dec 18, 2008
    if only for when I'm on the road. I'm sure the police would not care if i had a tracker, but that doesn't mean I can't beat some meth heads face in if i find him. Having a guitar and amp stolen from me has me ready to go "Taken" on someones ass if it happens again.
  17. thumpslap


    Jun 6, 2012
    My wife writes a lot of these policies, anjannee rotolo 903-830-1846 if you live in tx, ca, la. There actually cheap
  18. Angus

    Angus Supporting Member

    Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  19. Dont count on your auto policy to cover damage if it is in your car. I wrecked my truck last February and my Marshall combo amp was in the bed. It got thrown out and pretty badly messed up. Insurance company just said "sorry 'bout that". I found out the hard way that most auto policies dont cover contents.

  20. jasonmasters


    Dec 18, 2008
    my guitarists have had their guitars stolen and recovered before... generally they take the insturment and the gig bag/case

Share This Page