1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass interface for self recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bob Loza, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Bob Loza

Bob Loza

Mar 9, 2008
    This is such a stupid question - given my 20+ years experience at self-recording - but you guys/girls may relate. Since at least 2012 I've been using the Apogee Jam as my i/o for recording bass tracks. My main recording application has always been Garageband (cause it was so simple to begin with) and more so now Logic Pro X. So here's the deal:

In the last year or so "latency" has become such a problem that I can't go thru 3 or 4 tracks (recording on or off) without the signal going into crazy delay and just canceling.
    Yes. My apps are up to date. My machine is a very hip iMac. So....

Is it Jam 96k? The new GB or Logic Pro? Or ***?

(sidebar: in my downstairs studio I use a MacBook Pro for recording only. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 for my interface. No latency problems ever)

Thanks for whatever input you guys have.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Is there a hard drive defragment program available for Mac?

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I suspect it is how parameters are set. Finding which parameters to tweak can be the hard part.

In Logic, I would first check Preferences -> Audio, set recording delay to zero. It shows what the expected latency should be depending on the settings in that panel.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I'm running the latest Cubase Pro with an off-the-shelf HP desktop with a 1tb HD, mid-range Core i5, and I think 6gb of DDR3 ram. For demos, I usually record 2-4 guitar tracks using VST amp sims, a bass track with VST sims, and run either Ezdrummer 2 or Superior Drummer and I have no latency issues whatsoever. I hope that helps.

5. bfields

bfields

Apr 9, 2015
    Could you explain what you mean? When I've had latency trouble before it's shown up just a track that sounded in time when I recorded it sounding out of sync on playback. What do you mean by crazy delay and cancelling?

6. Think about swapping out your HDD for a SS one. The difference in response is quite staggering.