1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Intonation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by gbftats, Nov 3, 2010.

1. gbftats

gbftats

Oct 26, 2010
    Angels Camp, CA
    I have been borrowing a friend double bass. I got on Youtube to go through the basic setup. Bridge position, string position. Ect.

I got everything in tune, and put small "cheat sheet" stickers in place of the frets. What i noticed right away was that the notes differ string to string. Some moving behind the fret line and some in front. Is this normal?

2. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    No. Fret lines are most definitly not normal.

3. No. If you cross to the adjacent string at the same spot, it should be in tune. Is your bridge possibly very slightly askew? Bass setups can be difficult because they are such large instruments. A little move can make a very big difference. I'd take it to a professional

4. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    I don't mean any disrespect but try playing with your ears instead of your eyes and you'll play much more in tune. The double bass is related to the violin not to the guitar and it's a steep learning curve. A lesson or two will help immensely to feel more comfortable.

If you're going to put position markers on the instrument, confirm each mark with harmonics, open strings and an electronic tuner.

If you're serious about playing the instrument the sooner you can get away from these types of visual aids the better. At some point you will have to unlearn bad habits and using visual markers will never allow you to fully develop your ear.
    -J

5. +1 on the last 3 posts.

6. gbftats

gbftats

Oct 26, 2010
    Angels Camp, CA
    No disrespect taken. I have learned more then one instrument by ear, and i have a very good ear when it comes to playing. The reason i put the markers on the instrument was because it felt so out. Doing scales feels very unnatural when your low G is in the A position.

7. Oh, uh..............Chris? you wanna take this one? :help:

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

This sounds dangerous.

9. Your problem is that you seem to care about playing in tune. That means you need lessons.
    There is a lot more to getting the right sound and pitch without injuring yourself, so you really need a teacher.

10. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Dec 13, 2009
    Seattle,Wa.
    :D:D:D:hyper:

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Check your nut.

Your bass nut, that is. It's possible that one or more of the strings are riding too low, and have even dug their way into the fingerboard. If that's happening, then the "point of departure" for each string might be different, affecting intonation in the lower positions.

Another possibility is a hopelessly dead string.