1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass is crackling..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mike9108, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Mike9108

Mike9108

Sep 28, 2008
    Hey guys, first post, joined the site to ask this question :p.

Basically, when I plug my bass into an amp it crackles. The problem is probably with the bass itself, I have tried different amps and different jacks but it still happens. However, when I put it through a pedal, (my friend's Digitech guitar pedal), it seemed to work...

Any help would be appreciated

2. i had the same problem with my sunn concert bass head, and it was a trimpot, try checking your wiring for your bass, you might have a loose wire.

3. Mike9108

Mike9108

Sep 28, 2008
    Should I seek professional help or can this be done at home?

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Have you swapped out the cable/cord? Just an easy check.
    And certainly try the volume pot.
    Good Luck,
    Dirk

5. I had this problem with a bass a while back. Some suggestions I got were to check and make sure you're not using coated strings (not as good contact with bridge and can cause grounding problems), check the cord, check the ground wire to the bridge. If it's happening only at home, plug the amp into a different outlet.

6. monokeytoe9

monokeytoe9

Aug 25, 2008
    Texas
    Could possibly be a dying battery if the bass is active. Also could be a loose wire. Open the electronics cavity and plug the bass into ur amp. USE VERY LOW VOLUME. Move the wires around gently. If you hear the crackling, bingo. Loose wire. If you still don't hear it, check the pots. If its an older bass, it could probably use an electronics wash down with a electronic cleaner spray. It won't hurt the electronics. hope that helps.