1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass is distorting by itself?!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by llamalor2112, Oct 31, 2010.

1. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    So I have an Ibanez SR700 (active preamp, not pickups) and have been using it faithfully for about 3 years and now it randomly phases in and out of being loud and clean and then quiet and very distorted! ***? Is it just time for a new battery?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, new battery.

3. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    Whew, thank god. (only active bass I own)

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd say after 3 years a battery change would be in order.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes of course it needs new battery after 3 yrs. lol

6. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    The reason I was unsure was because about 2 years back I was playin and it made a loud pop sound then went quite for a minute or so and then came back on. I was told it was probably the battery dying but because the pickups were passive it was still working w/out an active eq.

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    So you posted this question before you took the few seconds to try a new battery? Probably not the battery anyway. You need a new bass, a new amp and cab, and while you're at it a new breaker box/electrical system in your home. Possibly a new new rotor at the electric generating station that supplies your town. Or, it could be your battery.

8. Slappin'Da Bass

Slappin'Da Bass

Feb 5, 2010
    ... Wow, alrighty SeƱor Ass.

9. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    woah, don't hang me up to dry here. It's just that before the 700 I owned a 600 which I was told required a battery change but I was not able to do so myself because the geniuses who designed the damn thing made the lead wires in the battery compartment too fricken short to even remove the battery much less replace it without damaging the battery cover... I don't want to make a repeat error...

10. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    here,s a thought-why can,t amp manufacturers provide phantom power down your lead ?

11. I always wondered that but then I realized that junk gets thrown out the door when you use a wireless.