Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Bass is easy to play'

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Moonraker, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I just hate when uninformed twats(usually guitarists) say that the guitar is harder to play than bass just because it has 4 strings(standard) and the guitar(standard) has 6 and because you dont have to play the strings all at once , some of them just think people pick up bass because it seems easier (4 strings etc) Do any of you fellow bass players hear this crap! inform me , give me your list of reasons why the bass is the greatest instrument ever created (IMHO), and what you think of that main point I have raised.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I believe it was Dave LaRue who said, "The bass is one of the easiest instruments to play, but one of the hardest instruments to play well."

I think that sums it up rather nicely.

JO

3. my group respects me b/c whenever they pickup my bass.. they suck at it and hurt their fingers on my big strings =)

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

WHO said a bass has "4 strings"???? ;)

Seriously, I saw a site the other week that was running over some preliminary concepts before the person actually started taking the bass lessons. It said something very close to what Jason has mentioned, "You'll find the bass is easy to play. However, it is one of the most difficult instruments to master."

Personally, I don't care about the degree of difficulty with any instrument as a basis for judgement of the instrument or the person playing it. If you can be more musical, expressive, and give other people a pleasing experience with your playing of any instrument that's all that matters in my book.

Many uniformed people that I encounter do think bass is the domain of wannabe guitar players. But usually anyone who knows anything about music or was around for the bass explosion of the `80's knows that's not true.

If this has you all p.o.'d, Moon, just take a look at the bulletin board ads at your local music store, or wherever want ads for musicians are located in your town. I lay you dollars to donuts those looking for bassists and drummers far outnumber those looking for guitarists. That might make you feel better.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    The guys who think bass is just an easier version of guitar to play are usually guitarists who have never played bass (beyond picking one up and thumbing a couple of pentatonic notes). They don't get the fact that ANY instrument beyond the intermediate stage is just as tough as guitar --- duh,even drums).

I play with a killer guitar player with whom I started as the second guitar player. When I switched to bass I got two levels of respect from this guy. The first was technical. While not nearly as good a guitar player as he I always got a lot of respect from him.And since I'm as technically proficient on bass as I was guitar that respect stayed as it was. But the other was rhythmic, meter and groove respect.He thinks (quite correctly) that a bassist with killer fingers but no groove is useless. He has big time respect for my groove because he knows, that while he could easily learn how to play my bass lines he couldn't replicate my groove. That's where I really get his respect.

Of course, we have all seen many guitarists who are less enlightened than my guy.

6. Bass is not easier nor more difficult to play than other instruments. It's what the bassist has to play that's <em>usually</em> easier.

It's funny that most people think bass is easier when as soon as they hear a little solo, they go nuts and think you're good, as if soloing on a bass is hard. Bass must be very difficult to play then.

7. That's because those of us who are real bassists make it look so easy. ;)

8. wow!! you´re lucky! my guitarists don´t even know what groove means!! :mad:

;)

9. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Touche Xavier !!!

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    The Bass - it gets even better. He buys the beer between the second and third sets every night.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Two lists:

What it's about:
    The Music

What it's not about:
    The instrument
    The hair
    The clothes
    The style
    The look
    MTV

People who point out how "easy" or "hard" a particular instrument is in their belief obviously have no understanding of music. I consider their critiques especially useless.

12. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    That pisses me off so bad, when people think that bass is easy, for whatever reason, forget the number of strings. GGGGRRRRRR. I mean, I usually stay with my four string so that people that don't know what their talking about will be forced to sit down and shut up once they hear me play.

Another thing that gets on my nerves is when fellow bassists think that the four string is SOOO much easier to play than a five or six, another reason that I usually play my four, so that they can make fun of me, then they have to sit down and shut up when I blow them out of the water. I enjoy that, since a lot of people get five and six strings because it is "the cool thing to do" or cause they think it will make them look better.

13. Where do you guys find all these critics? I started playing bass in the early 70's, and never have I heard anybody criticize bassists, suggest that bass is easier to play, etc.

14. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I usually get this kind of stuff from young people (I myself being young, but I am not a proud member of my generation do to all of the crap we put out ex. offspring, blink 182...)

Anyways, I usually get it at small clubs that let in teenagers, most of whom are mentally retarded along with the rest of my generation (or at least when they cucoon in clusters)

15. come on! you´ve gotta admit it´s about the hair too!! ADMIT IT!! :rolleyes:

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think GCS said it best:

"I just don't believe it's fair, to judge a man, by the length of his hair."

17. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Yeah, no kidding. I've never gotten that vibe either. Maybe I just make enough mistakes to prove it's hard...;)

But I gotta ask - how many of you who get crap for being a bass player play with a pick? I mean, if a "civilian" (non-musician) sees two guys playing "guitar" pick-style, and one guitar has four strings and one has six string, how could they NOT to come to the conclusion that the six-stringer is harder to play? Especially if all you're doing is playing punk tunes with root eighth notes on open strings. Let's face it - that IS easier. So don't get mad.

And often what we're called on to really is easier. If the tune calls for root-five, play root-five and don't b!tch. If you want chicks to throw their panties at you, play guitar. If you want to hold the band together, play bass.

But if do you want to impress someone, try playing with BOTH HANDS. Even at my level, if I look out into the audience, I will catch people watching my hands every time. That's one of the things that drew me to the bass - the ability to sound notes with both hands is almost magical, like sleight of hand. They'll look at your right hand, then your left, trying to figure out how the hell you're making that sound. Then they slowly slide their panties off...:D

Everyone already knows how guitar players make music - if you want to be noticed, do something DIFFERENT. Don't perpetuate a stereotype and then whine when people buy into it.

18. Heavier Than Thou

Heavier Than Thou

Jan 25, 2001
    I've never had anyone tell me that, either.

I play bass because it's natural to me. I understand rhythm. Melody is a mystery to me.
    I could never play lead guitar. My mind just does not think in terms of melody. I don't play rhythm guitar because my fingers are too clumsy and get tangled in the strings.

You were either born to play bass, or you weren't.
    I've been in bands where fellow bandmates have complimented me on the bass lines I come up with, saying they are perfect for the song. Rhythm is what I understand and bass is what comes natural to me.

A hotshot guitarist who can solo all over creation can't lay down a good bassline if all he understands is melody.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...whenever i see a lump post, I gotta check in; thanks, 'nuther hilarious post! ;) FME, the bras go first...

A nugget from a Chas Chandler(RIP; Animal's bassist & Hendrix producer) Guitar Player magazine interview(April '84)-
    The very FIRST question...
    GP-"How did you come to take up the bass guitar"?
    CC-"It's the easiest instrument to learn".

I also started my pathetic attempt to learn bass in the '70s; I have heard that the electric is easier to learn than the acoustic(no argument from me)...not sure if I ever heard someone say anything about electric guitars vs. electric bass, though.
    Since '72, I have attempted guitar, sax, drums, & keys; I have no problema sayin' the gadget bass is easier to get goin' on INITIALLY.
    Drums & keys require TWO brains(or more)...
    Mastery of any instrument is something else.
    Being a musician, regardless of the tool of choice, is always difficult.