bass is finished and shipped!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skguitarsbasses, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i love the headstock, lol

that looks purrty smooth my friend
  2. Very interesting design....i like it...but just one curious question? Whats with the elephant? :D

It looks cool though.

*Edit: Am i assuming right that the indentation above the PU is for resting?
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Seems to me that the cutout in the body is to give the effect of a third horn on the bass? Anyway, it's a unique design and that's a good thing in my book.

What kind of wood was used for the top? Walnut? Very pretty!
  4. thank you for the positive comments!

the elephants head is my logo, the trunk forms an S (my name is Shane), it's woodburned into the maple.

the third cutaway is to give the bass another scroll, and some people do find it convenient to rest their thumb there when they play- call it dumb luck, haha :)

the specs are as follows:
    - 32" scale
    - figured walnut top and back also has walnut laminates on top and back of the headstock
    - spanish cedar body core
    - maple neck with a walnut accent line
    - ebony fretboard
    - ziricote bridge
    - bartolini music man style pickup wired passively. volume and tone knobs, and coil selector switch (neck/full/bridge)
    - sperzel locking tuners
  5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
  6. I really like it, alot. And for me that says quite abit cause im very fussy on designs...there isnt much out there really care for.

Do you currently have anymore orders? Are you going to be making a website?

I wish you alot of luck...and you just may hear from me one day :)
  7. b'aces high- thank you very much- i am very happy to have impressed your critical eye!

as for the tone- it has a ton of punch and growl. i had an experienced jazz bassist test it out for me (as i am a lefty), and he completely fell in love with it. it has a great range with the different coil options.
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    For the most part, I like it! I like the overall body shape. I probably would've wanted a little less of a cutout on the body, but I certainly appreciate the different approach. Not a lot of places to tastefully differentiate new designs these days.

I love the overall shape and thickness of your headstock. I do find the size of the elephant / circle to be a bit distracting. Keeps me from focusing on all the beautiful woodwork.

The bridge is art in its simplicity and I like the strings thru body approach.

Dude, if this is your first, you have a very bright future in bass-building.

9. thank you james
    from now on the side body scroll is only going to go as deep as the figured top wood. i was experimenting with the design on Chris's bass, and i found that cutting in that deep is just a real pain to sand and work with.
  10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I like stuff like this a lot. Great work, and will definitely be looking for future stuff.
  11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  12. hopefully chris will post sound samples when he gets a chance. i didn't get the opportunity to record any before shipping it out.
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just being honest -

Negatives ;

> That body cut-out is rank
    > The finish has no sheen at all
    > The headstock design looks like a damn banjo (one of my most hated instruments)
    > No zero fret
    > The bridge looks as primitive/non-adjustable as a Wishnevsky
    > The E string doesn't appear to be "straight pull" to the tuning post
    > The tuning keys are herky-jerky.....two are banjo-style and two are horizontal to the head. :confused:

> The woods used are gorgeous!
    > The necik-heel transition looks as smooth as silk!
    > The matching control cavity cover is superb
    > Love the pup placement; one well-placed pup with minimal controls beats a multi-pup bass with so-so tone anyday.

Nonetheless, the bottomline is tone. If this bass sounds like a monster, I could care less about the negatives I mentioned.

Moreover, the customer's input heavily influences the final product. You may have wanted to do it quite differently. That body cut-out is what really makes it hard for me to look at.

You keep doing it. You are obviously very talented!
  14. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Too weird for my tastes...but if you're looking to turn heads then that's your instrument.
  15. Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    That´s a very nice are talented, man!
  16. thats amazing. it kinda reminded me of a carl thompson
  17. Rickbass- I appreciate the honesty, it's good to hear of some things that I may need to look into redesigning in the future. As for the side body scroll, this is an optional feature on my basses. I can certainly make them with or without depending on what the customer prefers.
    I used an oil finish on the bass, as I prefer that a wooden instrument feel like it's made of wood. I just don't enjoy heavy lacquer finishes, it makes everything feel like plastic.
    The bridge has 3 thumbwheels that it rests on. The action is fully adjustable. The center wheel can also be raised independently so as to arch the bridge to match the radius of the fretboard. Not exactly sure what you mean about the "banjo style" tuning key placement.

Indigo- No website as of yet, but I have a friend working on it for me. PM is being sent your way.

Crazy_Fingers27- Thanks!
  18. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    SK, it's a beautiful bass, but I have to agree, that bridge looks primitive, and the E string pull is a little crooked. Other than that it's gorgeous, but no offence, I would/could never buy something like that. I like my tops flat and my finishes solid. Good work though!
  19. tplyons- thanks! I am looking into making more adjustable/ elaborate wooden bridges, the one used on this bass was what was requested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.