Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass is shipping, need a cheapo amp now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSkunk, Jan 13, 2003.

1. well, since rondo music has such sweet prices (ordered a bg-180), i saved some 60 dollars, that i think i am now gonna put towards an amp.

Any reccomendations? i wont be playing too loud since i live in a dorm at school, but still would like something so i can hear myself over the usual hallway noise. Headphone jack would be good too.

Also, are there are really good bass books i can get? i dont want a book filled with all around the mullberry bush, i want one that is packed with theory and makes me think, HARD! :)

any comments are helpful, man am i PSYCHED

2. Peavey Microbass!!!! 50 watts @ 8 ohms, fairly nice tone, the pre amp is ok, but hell, it can be loud! Good amp for the money!!!

I'm not to sure how much they are, but I think you can get them for about $50 - give or take a few extra $10.. :)

:D

3. wow man, rock on, that sounds like just what i need

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    For practice amps on a budget I recommend Crate, Peavey, and Traynor. Anything better than that at a good price is a deal.

For books, anything by Carol Kaye or Ed Friedland. Carol Kaye answers questions via her web site which I think adds value to her books. Ed's books make you think and are easy to follow.

Dan

5. It is indeed a good amp. I've seen people pass on the name to other newer bassists looking for a practise amp.

The amp's tone, is just a bit of everything, soi it's not 100% one thing, or the other, you'll always have a bit of something (not nesseccarly a good thing, can be).

IMO, you should try this amp out oonce you get your bass... :)

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I reccomend a Crate BX25 (maybe also a BX50) for a small practice. Crate really changed the way they did things when his line came out, and the sound is huge! Lots of EQ and the cab is ported in the back.

I think I bought it used for about 110 at Bass NW a couple of years ago.

7. Oh ya - the Peavey has the extra CAB port on the back, too !

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    My microbass is only 20W, but I give it my highest rating! It does not have an extra cab post on the back though. Are there two different kinds of Microbasses?

Mark

9. Hmm.. Wierd, maybe i am wrong.

OK, I just checked. I am. Its 20watts @ 4 ohsm... :)