Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass isn't a guitar... so what?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In the things you hate people say series, the most reoccouring statement is "I hate it when they call bass a guitar :mad: "

So what?

Yes, it is a totally different instrument, in a totally different range. But it is a bass guitar, and it's body (For the most part) is the shape of a guitar.

I'll admit, it use to bother me, but then I realized how little it matters. So take a deep breath, it's not the end of the world.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    It's probably an insecurity thing, I think. Like if you've got a brother that everybody talks about all the time (for whatever reason), you're going to try to find ways to distance yourself from that brother in people's minds in whatever way you can. Hence, in this case, the complaining over semantics like what, exactly, the instrument should be called.

Basically, people are being big babies about it and need to get over it.

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I actually find it more annoying when someone says I play guitar, then some other random person is like, "duh, he plays a bass not a guitar." Not sure why that annoys me.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It is kinda aggravating at first, because it makes it seem like bass is just a subset of guitar and therefore less important or complete. That's what used to bother me. But like Matt Till said, you just gotta take a deep breath and remember that no matter what anyone else thinks about it, I'm having a good ol' time with my fat-stringed, detuned guitar.

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    This has been done before. A few times. It doesn't need to be done again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.