Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass issue: OLP vs Rockbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkpunker, Nov 14, 2002.

1. sorry to bugging you wonderful people but these things are kinda adictive! and plus i went into london today to go browsing for a new bass, and came back with a problem...
    my target: a budget (£350 max ($550))
    the choices: OLP MM3 - £219
    Warwick Rockbass Corvette (active) - £339
    they are both 4strings and both good at what i want, i am edging towards the OLP but want a second opinion really!

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd pick the rockbass every single day of the week!!!!

active, better setup from the factory, better woods used, and doesn't have that "jay turser/rogue" vibe like OLP's do.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i played both and preferred by far the rockbass.

4. go for the rockbass

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Rockbass. More versatile and, IMO, lighter and easier to play.

Good luck!

6. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I do not like Warwick's *ducks* BUT would have to agree that of the two choices, it's your best bet for overall quality and versatility....

7. Everyone seems to be putting down the OLP. I just came from a shop where I played a OLP 5 that was just set up and forthe money and even alot more it is a very nice bass.

8. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
  9. I'll go for the OLP also. Sure it's not as versatile, but if ya like the Musicman vibe, it's a great buy. "Jay Turser/Rogue"vibe? I disagree. The 4 string OLP is way better than those. Plus, it needs no upgrading. It's the most powerful passive bass on the market.

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The OLP is also a relatively heavy bass compared to the rock bass. I admit that they sound nice, but I think that a Fender MIM is a better deal than an OLP. As I said earlier if choosing between the two go Rock Bass.

First ask yourself, which one played better? Then ask, what sounded better? Then buy the bass that worked for you.

11. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    I'm not much of a fan of Warwick basses. Granted, they sound great, but to me, they kinda all sound basically the same. Anycrap, this seems to be a nice comparison. Both basses have plus sides. Although my OLP is coming in soon, I won't try to persuade you to get one. As a previous poster said, go play both of them, see how much you like the feel and the playability of both, and then go from there. If you use discernment, the right bass will be picked out. :D

12. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd go with the OLP. It has more low mid response than the rockbasses I've played.