Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Job Market

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by HeYJa3, Feb 5, 2006.

1. HeYJa3

HeYJa3

Feb 5, 2006
    La Crescenta, CA
    Hey. I'm a pretty young bassist, and just curious about the world of bass playing outside of school and stuff.

I was wondering what kind of jobs are out there for a bassist or in the music industry in general.

Thanks

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Well, I can certainly tell you that, in the Austin area, bassists and drummer are the most in-demand band positions. You can't swing a cat without hitting a guitarist, but a bass player? We are rare and sought-after animals. I have to work a day job (got kids), but if I could go play out every night, I could pay my bills and have change left over. I have had to turn down four offers from bands in the past two weeks, because I simply do not have that much time. And, these bands all know that I am not the best bassist in town. They just want *a bass player*, not a guitarist who can make his or her way around one.

So...there ya go! Be The Man In Demand!

You can get session work, too. Studios need instruments for not only music recordings, but soundtracks and commercials, too.

Cherie :)

3. HeYJa3

HeYJa3

Feb 5, 2006
    La Crescenta, CA
    Wow, thnx. Sounds like fun

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    It is, great fun! My goal, right now, is to find a job either *much* closer to home, or with fewer hours. That way, I can take more music work without messing up my family's lives.

I'm a *lot* older than you. Being young, you can afford to take more risks. So...learn all you can on the bass and about music...playing different styles, reading notation and tab...everything you can. Take every reasonable and legitimate opportunity to play. If someone wants you to play a bass line for a commercial jingle, do it.

Every bit of experience is helpful. By the time you are grown, you will have lots of experience behind you, and can start making some money.

If you can, take classes in related fields, like recording, sound, performance, writing, etc. Broaden yourself, so that you will have enough musical opportunities to make a living at it.

I wish I had done than when I was younger, but back then, it was still a man's game. There are *so* many more opportunities now, for musicians. Go out and get 'em!

Cherie :)

5. HeYJa3

HeYJa3

Feb 5, 2006
    La Crescenta, CA
    Wow, thank you. Sounds like there's alot of opportunities for a bassist. =D

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    You bet! I'm SO glad I'm not a guitarist. The guitarists I know have to, for example, get in line at jams, and don't get much time onstage, but I play all night. ;-)

Cherie :bassist: