1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass: Jolana Kolorbas 8-way switch??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pimpifax, Jan 26, 2012.

1. pimpifax

pimpifax

Jan 26, 2012
    Hello.

A little time ago i owend this czech made, nice 60s/70s sounding Jolana Kolorbas (but with a more pleasent look :cool: ). I really love this nice sounding instrument. :bassist: But the Problem is i´m not able to figure out what the 8-way switch between the volumeknobs does (see picture below)! It is not only to simple switch between the pickups. Someone told me it is also something like parallel/seriell, phase -switch, etc... Does someone know this bass and can tell me what the hell this switch is exactly doing?? :confused:

i-1.

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Here's a link to the Kolorbas page on the Jolana website: Jolana.cz » Kolorbas

Google is trying to translate it for me, but if you can read Czech, you will get the answer faster than I can.

Best of luck,

Bob

3. pimpifax

pimpifax

Jan 26, 2012
    Well, i didn´t know that the company still exists!! While the Czech are my neighbors, but I am from Austria and their language is completely different than german. :D So unfortunately i don´t understand czech but i will also try google translate, or look around if some of my musican friends understands it. So thanks for the link. ;)

Edit: Omg!! Google translation is sooo awful!! But for sure there are no technical specs on this site. So maybe i will try to contact them via mail.

4. Hi pimpifax, from my limited understanding of Czech (owed exclusively to the similarity between Czech and Russian which is my native language), there is no description of what the pickup switch exacty does on that page. It just states "[It] has a pickup switch and two knobs - volume and tone".

5. pimpifax

pimpifax

Jan 26, 2012
    Yes & thanks. ;)
    But that´s what i meant with...
    and why...
    Didn´t get any answer yet. Probably because it's weekend...

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    That Jolana's pretty cool. I wonder if you could take the plate off, photo the underside and indicate the pickup wires - maybe we can figure out the wiring from that.

7. pimpifax

pimpifax

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks for your offered help but i talked to some experienced bassplayers and they told me some possibilities how it makes sense to change the electonic. How to make it more really usable. In most cases like to keep things simple and even usable. So after i thougt in-depth about the way to change it i made the decision that i will comletely change the electronic as they told me to to it:
    - 1 volume knob (for both pus)
    - 1 treble knob (for both pus)
    - and the 8-way switch leaves for an 3-way switch (front/back/both pus)

If someone is interessted i can upload the pictures i made of the original electronic. ;)