Bass Jumping Jacks

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I like to grab my heaviest bass (Warwick of course), blast music, and dance/jump/squat/lift/spin/hop and run around like an idiot with it for fortyfive minutes, as a part of my practice routine. I want to become as comfortable with my instrument as possible. It helps my stage performance unbelievably - and while playing well is real important to me, performance is equally important.

Anybody have any other out of the ordinary practices - especially for performance.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Not that much out of the ordinary, but still useful (I think ;) )

1. Practicing without an amp.
    I do it to work on my tone. When you get a really good tone playing like that, you'll sound good with an amp too. Just make sure not to overplay (playing too hard)

2. Practicing in front of a mirror
    Helps to find and eliminate flaws in my playing technique, posture, etc. Also to check the overall look, it's helpful to avoid looking too silly when playing on stage later :D
  3. I end up playing too hard. =P

I do that all the time. hehe. still waiting for my first gig :(
  4. I practice totally naked, it makes me feel at one with my bass, and with the music...........heehee..
  5. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    I practice stood up in front of the mirror without my strap!!!

Think about it!!!
  6. I usually just play standing up. Of course, that's probably why I find myself just standing still on stage most of the time. Too bad the only blank area of floor in my room is about 10 feet away from my amp.
    Then again, I DO have a 25 foot long cable... :D
  7. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
  8. i learn to play everything while 1. humming in a different time (if the song is in 4/4 i hum in 3/4 2. having my eyes closed and 3. while thrashing as hard as i can. i find that if you can play a line without thinking about it at all then you can thrash and head bang as much as you want. is also helps singing if you dont have to think about the part.
  9. be sure not to jump.. for things may end up hurt.. and others dirty, lmao!