1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass just... stopped working?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flawop, Nov 9, 2006.

1. flawop

flawop Inactive

Sep 9, 2006
    I was at practice tonight and it was working fine. I put it down at the end we were putting away the patch chords and distortion ped and whatever, but then when we plugged her back in the pickups didn't output any sound. But it works for another bass.

Got home and tried it on my amp. Nothing. I've messed with the knobs, the volumes on. Patch chord is fine.

Anyone know what's wrong?

2. If it's an active bass, I'd change the batteries.

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    You tried a different cable right?

You might have a loose connection. Open up your electrics cover and check it out.

4. flawop

flawop Inactive

Sep 9, 2006
    Yeah I tried two. And as for the wiring... I don't know, I opened up the back and everything looks OK but I don't know what to look for.

The only thing kinda "out of place" is one of the wires coming from a pickup. These wires have a kinda shoe lace thing that look glued to this metal piece, and then these little tiny white wires extend from the big white wires the shoe lacey things are in and connect to something.

That make any sense? But I'm pretty sure the shoe lacey things are just glued there to hold the wires in place... I think.

5. what type of bass is this?

6. flawop

flawop Inactive

Sep 9, 2006
    It's an Ibanez SR305. 2001 model.

7. I think that's an active bass. Try using a new cable. Try changing batteries. Try taking it to your local bass/guitar shop and have those tweekers look at your bass =)

8. flawop

flawop Inactive

Sep 9, 2006
    It's plastic but ya, just one big one. Takes a battery in there but the battery is fine, pretty new. And last time the battery died my bass still worked, it just sounded really distorted. There's no sound at all now.

9. Alright, I think that model is active, try replacing the battery

10. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    Are you using MONSTER cables or PlANET WAVES cables by any chance?Those have huge ends and wear jacks out real fast.

11. flawop

flawop Inactive

Sep 9, 2006
    No I'm using some Yorkville cable, that's what it says on it.

I replaced the battery and the pickups aren't like outputing any sound still.

I have an audition tomorrow, my band has an audition. So this is pretty bad.

12. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    My the leads to the jack on my Warwick have broken at least 3-4 times in 3 years. Make sure that the jack has both leads connected.

Yeah, make sure the battery is good first. Much easier to check and fix.

13. flawop

flawop Inactive

Sep 9, 2006
    heh sorry, what are the leads to the jack? And how do I fix that?

14. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I've had that happen with my old passive bass. A wire simply came un-soldered, and I repaired it in 5 minutes, and it was back to normal. Things happen.

15. flawop

flawop Inactive

Sep 9, 2006
    Is there anything I can do to fix it by myself without me totally messing it up? Or should I just bring it into my local guitar shop?

If not I'll probably have to rent a bass just so we can audition tomorrow. It's a really big deal.

16. flawop

flawop Inactive

Sep 9, 2006
    Oh sorry, one more thing that should be able to provide some more insight on this. I tried using a tuner with a diff cable and there was no response with the tuner.

So I hope that helps.

17. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    A photo of the insides would help a little.

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    +1 on a photo of the insides.

19. There are too much troubles with those active Ibanez basses. I do sometimes some repair works for my students and fellow bass players and this years there was already 3 of those. They just stop working. The only thing I could do was replacing the preamp or converting to passive el. And they started to work again. Ibanez preamps tend to dye.

20. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    That would be a good guess, if you already checked the battery, the wires being connected, the input jack and the volume pot. They are purely active basses. If the pre-amp blows up, everything dies. Check for burn marks, leaking capacitors... High res pic would help.

At leasy it didn't happen during the audition :)