Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Karaoke ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Roundwound, May 12, 2005.

1. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    At work we’re having a “fun day” at a park next week, and they just solicited the department for people to participate in a talent showcase during lunch. It’s nothing really serious and they’re doing it for a little entertainment while the group eats lunch. They are looking for singers (karaoke provided), musicians, skits, etc. What’s been going through my mind is actually playing bass (yes you know where this is going) either solo or going with a “bass karaoke” compilation. For some musicians the karaoke idea may produce more cheese than Wisconsin, but due to the circumstances and leeway involved (I work for a large company and we do cheesy but fun stuff all the time), I think the karaoke thing can work with the right songs and playing.

I need your opinion with song selection, if you’ve been through this type of experience before and where you went for bass karaoke resources, and if you think I’m absolutely nuts with the karaoke option (please suggest alternatives in that case). The audience will consist of 90% women (total 80 people of various age groups who I know rather well) and the event will be informal with no prizes or anything. I’ve also been playing seriously over 20 years and can technically pull this off.

Songs in consideration: “Respect” by Aretha Franklin, “Knock Yourself Out” by Tower of Power, possibly “Bernadette” by the Four Tops. If I go through with this, I’d shorten the songs up and play bass through a practice amp and have the karaoke machine play the song. Hopefully this all isn’t going over the deep end, but thought it would be fun given the circumstances… :help:

2. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    sounds like fun to me.
    :D

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I think it's a cool idea also. If you sing harmonies where needed would really make a nice dif too(IMHO).

Ideas for tunes?

Ob la di - Beatles
    Thunder only Happens - Fleetwood Mac
    Gimme one Reason - Tracy Chapman
    Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper
    Brown-Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
    Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes
    I Love RnR - Joan Jett
    Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar

Hope this helps,

4. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks. Interesting suggestions. Van Morrison would be up my alley...Moondance comes to mind now, but Brown-Eyed Girl is more of a fun tune. Time After Time would be a real chick-hit, too.