1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass + keyboard on Hartke HA3500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alik, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    I own the Hartke HA3500 and I just read the manual to find out if I can plug both my active bass and a Roland Juno DS keyboard into this amp, but it only says both inputs are independent. Some tech stuff in it: Passive input provides a high impedance input sensitivity of 20mV, whereas Active input provides input sensitivity of 60mV.
    I want to be able to play one instrument at a time. Maybe I could get an A/B pedal and use both instruments on the active input, I've read that keyboards have a hotter output than guitars :unsure:
    Any advice will be appreciated

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Specifically the manual says, " Two independent inputs that accommodate both passive and active bass guitars."

Typically there is a resistor network between the two inputs that results in the different sensitivity of each input and also presents fairly significant degree of isolation between the inputs. So you can probably plug two basses into the amp without any worries.

In my experience a keyboard output is typically a lot hotter than a bass. It may be safe to plug a bass into the passive input and the keyboard into the active input, but I can't say for certain. I would probably anticipate that the hot signal from the keyboard will make it difficult to balance levels between the two instruments. It may also be difficult to find an EQ that works for both instruments. I think the optimal solution would be a small mixer that includes a high Z instrument level input. This will give you seperate gain and EQ for both instruments.

Here are two examples:
    |1002B|Behringer|P0A04
    Soundcraft Notepad-8FX

Typically a keyboard will provide a hot enough signal to work in a line input but a bass will not. I used to run an Ashley MX508 rack mixer as the heart of my bass rig because I switched between three instruments. This mixer didn't have high Z inputs so I used Shure A95U line matching transformers so I could plug straight into the mic inputs. So if you already have a small mixer, but it doesn't have a high Z in, just buy an appropriate line matching transformer or use a DI if you have one handy.

The Shure A95U is fairly pricey but it's good: A95U - Line Matching Transformer (Male XLR to ¼” Male Plug/Female Jack)

Alik likes this.
  3. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Just put the keyboard in the effects loop return and control it with it's own volume.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The HA3500 appears to have parallel effects loop with a blend control, so it shouldn't cut off the preamp when you plug into the return. However the effects loop is post EQ, post compression and +4dB line level. Although keyboards do typically put out a line level signal, I don't know if the Juno will put out +4dB. This info doesn't appear to be in the owner's manual. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it ;).

Alik likes this.
  5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    It should most likely be fine. I didn't remember it having a blend, but if so just set it 50/50 or start fully dry and go towards wet as necessary to get enough keys compared to the bass. You can also play with the input gain/s which will change the balance between bass and keys as well (the higher the input gain, the wetter you would need the blend to get enough keys probably).

6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The control is labeled Balance.

From the manual:
    7. Balance control - Use this to adjust the relative amount of Effect Send (dry) versus Effect Return (wet) signal being routed to the Model 3500/5500 speaker outputs. At the center-detented “0” position, equal amounts of Send and Return signal are routed. At its fully counterclockwise (“Send”) position, no signal from a connected effects processor(s) is added to the main output. At its fully clockwise (“Return”) position, the only signal you hear is that coming from a connected out-board effects processor(s). If your outboard effects processor has an adjustable wet/dry control, we recommend that you set the Balance knob to its fully clock-wise (“Return”) position and use the effects processor’s wet/dry control to adjust the relative mix. Alternatively, you can set the effects processor to output fully “wet” signal and use the Model 3500/5500 Balance knob to adjust the relative mix of dry vs. wet signal

7. The 3500 has a massive amount bass on tap. I would be very careful running a keyboard through the amp, keeping a close ear and eye on the cab. I would NOT use the graphic EQ, unless I had the 30hz fader down as far as it will go, with the 60hz lower as well.
    The 3500 will destroy your drivers quickly, if you are not careful.
    Fishheadjoe

eriky4003 and Alik like this.
  8. I have played my basses (passive and active) in the Passive input of my HA2500 and my Roland VR-09 in the Active input with no issues. Just be careful with the levels on the keyboard.

Alik and Wasnex like this.
  9. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    I just read this in other thread:
    Screenshot_20200302-190459_Chrome.jpg
    I'm more inclined to go with the mixer solution now, I've found some are very good quality and don't cost much, some below $100 with 8 channels. Which brings me now to choose between analog and digital mixers. :p

10. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    Just got this mixer a few days ago, still learning how to use it. I connected both L and R outputs of my keyboard to channels 1 and 2 since those have compression knobs, and I'll have my bass on channel 3. For recording purposes it gives additional eq controls, which I think is good.
    My Scarlett 2i2 is now sitting in my closet.

Screenshot_20200607-211645_eBay.jpg

Wasnex likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021