Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Kit Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Oct 20, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Does anyone know of a good place to buy an inexpensive bass kit besides Carvin. Just looking for other options before I spend the money on the carvin kit. Thanks alot

2. I'm sure there are Saga kits on evil bay. They usually go for about $125 or so if my memory serves me (which is always a crap shoot.) I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there's probably a reason they're so...um..."affordable."

3. Bull44

Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
    Maine
    If you wont a good bass just save up and get a carvin. Otherwise youll just been wonting a new one soon after:)

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Do you want Cheap or a good value? Cheap Carvin - Good Value Warmoth.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Must agree with some of the others, the cheapie kits are a good learning experience but the Carvin will result into a really good, working meat-n-potatoes axe that will sound and play very well (the looks are up to how you dress it up). Bang for buck, the Carvin just makes sense. I say go for the Carvin. As for the Warmouth, the components are excellent but the end result is a very pricey axe. Getting Warmouth parts is great for having, say, a beat up used axe that has great pickups and hardware but the neck is wacked and the body is a mess. So order the body and neck of yr dreams, maybe upgrade some of the parts you have then hook up a super axe. But to start from scratch will cost you. The Carvin kits are all inclusive and a great value; its not cheap crap at all. How flashy the end product is up to you but even barebones, you'll be able to gig with it, no doubt.

r

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah I'm not looking for a main axe or anything, I have 3 great basses as it is but I wanted to try my hand at finishing and assembling one. Warmoth is too expensive for me right now, I just want an inexpesive project that I could mess around with. I think the Carvin is the way to go. Thanks guys

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    You could piece together one at allparts for less than 500 bucks.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Cavin kit comes with EVERYTHING you need for well under $400.

r

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    you can easily get everything you want from E-bay as well. You could easily build a bass - depending on options - for under $200. I have done it. A 4 string Warmoth - again depending on options - can be under $400, especially if you shop around and pick up different pieces from TB or Ebay. Bridges, Tuners, Pick Ups are all easy to find here or on E-bay. There are a ton of options. You do not need to stick to one single source for a "Kit"

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I bought one of those Saga kits just out of curiosity. I paid a grand total of $90 for it. If you want a true learning experience, destroy one of these first, then get a good Carvin kit!

11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I would suggest carvin because of the high quality of the parts and affordablility. A good neck w/ebony board and graphite reinforcing rods, solid hipshot bridge, good tuners, solid pickups (not barts I know, but let's not start that argument here). 2 piece alder (or ash) body. As for selection, there are a number of options (mm humbucker, active/passive, frettless, lined, unlined), and I have heard that except for finishes, you can request options that are not listed as long as they are listed as options for the b4 and b5 model basses.

As a price comparison for new parts, for the price of the cheapest Warmoth neck, body, precut nut and neck plate, (not including, bridge, pickups, wiring, tuning machines, etc) You can get a complete bass kit from Carvin with everything. That said, Warmoth makes some killer stuff, it's all a question of what you want to spend.

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Check out WD as well, Their kits are more expensive than Carvin, and the bridges aren't as nice, but the bodies and necks are fully finished and painted in your choice of 4-5 colors, and they are based on p and j designs. I baught a WD body and was very happy with it. With the link you can design your own bass. Kind of cool....

http://www.wdmusic.com/guitar_builder.htm

Bass 1 is a precision copy

Bass 2 is a Jazz copy

13. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Please don't take this wrong but why do you want to do a kit bass? Do you want total control over the look, the sound, the playability or what. The Carvin kits get you a Carvin sound and plability and you get to change how it looks. Warmoth lets you mix and match stuff to affect all three parameters. The collection of parts from various (eBay) stuff puts you in a new territory where, with some luck, no man has gone before. If you just WANT TO BUILD ONE the Carvin is probly your best bet. No looking for stuff you forgot. I think, since you already have three basses, you want to stay away from the SAGA, Grizzly or similar kits UNLESS you just want to screw around with a nothin-lost type of project.

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Nice looking basses, but they are $450 + any of the options.

15. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    There ARE options for Carvin kits. Not a lot, but they are there. I have a fretless. Passive, single coils (not hummers). And it sounds a LOT different than the active fretted dual coil hummer. And you can choose ash or alder. Four or Five.

And it's a great (to borrow from above) meat 'n' potatoes axe. I've already painted mine twice, but I want this color now:

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Exactly!!! I think this is a no-brainer.

r