Bass Lab basses!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clavefa, Mar 4, 2006.

1. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
  3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    What would that be called, a single cut?

It's groovy.
  4. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    bass labs always produces the most unique looking instruments i've ever seen.

i'm curious to try one out in person. althought i'd be afraid i'd look stupid holding it :p

5. Funny you ask! I was just there on Wednesday playing that thing. I'm a Bass NW regular....

It sounds pretty good actually. I dunno how to articulate it- it did what I wanted it to, aheh. Plenty of knobs to twiddle your way to a good tone, and it feels fine. Weird looking, indeed. Fun to play? Solid feel? Yes.

Did I cream my pants and think of ways to pony up 2200 clams? No sir.
  6. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I've played a couple. They can actually look pretty nice and they're comfortable to play. They're definitely unique looking. That's the thing I like about them ;)
  7. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I like the look of that one at BassNW. But I'm not too sure about the usefulness of the pickup configuration. I'd imagine that a proper J configuration would be more useful.

Love the color though!
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That there is quite an unusual configuration even for BassLab basses: they usually have either two humbuckers or 3 single-coil J-types
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Never tried the Bow.
    I played a STD some time ago.
    I was less than thrilled. It didn't feel comfortable in my hands and the tone was too airy, it that means anything. A bit like if everything came from the electronics, not the strings.
    Otherwise, very well built instrument. Not my style at all especially for this price.
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I dont know why these basses are so expensive, ok they are hi-tech and stuff but come on they dont craft the instruments by hand they just put composite in a mold, blow some air and thats it composite bass done, then some frets electronics hardware and youre done.

How much would they sell if they lower they prices to semi-pro bass player budgets???
    I like them and love their hi-fi tone.
  11. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Airy? An interesting description but I get what you're saying and agree. I found it a bit metallic as well. It sounds somewhat like it looks: metallic and futuristic.
  12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Thanks for linking my thread!!! Hey, that L-Bow was a pretty sweet bass!

Here's the direct link to my review on it:

As I said there:

13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm sure they're great, but the look just isn't for me. It's 'modern' futuristic, whereas I prefer a futuristic look, circa 1960...
  14. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    I was in contact with this swede who worked at Bass Lab a few years ago, considering a lefty Bow. I forgot about them for a while, but now they have caught my attention again. Maybe it`ll be a future project when I actually get good at playing bass. :)
  15. They seem cool, but do the frets retract?:eyebrow:
  16. I want one. Never tried 'em, I just think they seem really cool.:D
  17. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    i remember seeing a prince music video where either him or his his bassist was pulling off the bass labs really well. What kind of composite are they made out of? Is it similar to the ibanez plastic basses, i think luthite maby?
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll be making a special trip to BassNW this week just to check that bad boy out. WOW!

19. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

For SOME of the "wow" factor associated with that bass, you could always look into the Ibanez Ergodyne EDA905

Some of the same lines for considerably less than $2K+
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you're interested into the concept, Switch uses the same. 1 piece molded instruments.