bass/lead hybrid amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zuri, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Zuri

Jun 14, 2005
    Marshall produced some hybrid amps(heads) in the 1970s that were for both guitar and bass, supposedly. Has any of you ever played through these? Are they any good, esp. for bass?
    Some of them are 100W. Do you reckon that's loud enough for club sized gigs? Are they "LOUD 1960s style 100W" or just plain old 100W?
  2. i take you mean tube loud and SS 100 watt
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I think I know the amps you mean, I've seen them on Ebay once or twice but they always get too pricey for me. They look like your basic "Plexi." I've never played one, but I do use a 100 watt Plexi reissue as a bass amp, and know someone that uses a 100 Super Bass as a guitar amp. I guess depending on what sounds you like, any of them can be good for anything.

Mine is pretty loud, not as loud as my Genz Benz 600 watt with its 2X10, 1X15, and 10+18 cabinets, but useable in medium sized rooms in a classic rock or quieter situation. It isn't going to compete with a Triple Rectifier full stack. It has that great "bass through a good tube guitar head" sound. It's best IMO mixed with a SS rig providing some of the low end the Marshall lacks.
  4. I used to use a Gibson GSS 100 guitar and bass head from the 70's or so when I was really poor and needed an amp. It had two inputs on the bass side where there was "volume, bass, treble" then it had two inputs on the guitar side with "volume, bass, mids, treble, reverb, tremelo, vibrato". It sounded pretty horrible when I was using it with a yorkville 410, actually the "bass side" didn't sound that bad now that I think of it, I traded it for a terrible drum kit with a guitarist who loves the thing to death and would never get rid of it. I picked it up for around 100 dollars american. It wasn't grounded and would electricute me constantly when touching the strings:/
  5. Zuri

Jun 14, 2005
    I'm not really technical enough to know the reason why, but an AC 30 guitar amp always seems a lot louder than, say a 1990s Marshall JCM 900 one, even though both are tube amps & the Marshall is 100 watt, as opposed to the AC 30's 30 watt.
    Maybe the same is true for certain 60s / 70s bass amps?