Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass LED's (any experiance)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sam V, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    just wondering how'd I'd go about the installation of Led's. I know enough about the wiring.first of all are there special Led's I should look for in terms of shape? and are perloid materials transparent enough with a light behind them? I know approximatly how to do it, you'd cut a groove down the fingerboard for the wiring.
    I'm hoping someone who's done this before can add some tips. thanks

2. themaninthesuit

themaninthesuit

Nov 16, 2002
    UK
    theres a company here in the UK that fit leds using some special method that doesnt compromise the strength of the neck

alot of pros use them to fit leds (steve vai, sam rivers, hank marvin...erm and others)

their web site is : http://www.simsled.co.uk

hope that helps

3. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    Thanks, I know about sims but I'm doing it myself. I'm building the bass, not retrofitting it so I'm gonna do it myself rather than spend 700 canadian to get lights installed. appreciated though, thanks

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    the easiest way to go is with fiber optics and have the led mounted in the body. you can get real tricky and have different plug in modules for different colors. Also if a LED craps out, and it is mounted in a fingerboard you have a lot of work to do to replace it.

Darrin

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    is there anyway you could route the wiring through were the truss rod is? so if something crapped out it would be no more work than fixing a truss rod(which granted is a lot of work, but probably less than deconstructing a neck to fix one light.

6. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    Well I really like what darin said by using fiber optics. I'm not sure how I'd attach it to an LED though, as four routing with standard Leds. You just rout out a thin groove under the fingerboard(saw it on the alembic website). Also what materials would I choose to allow enough transperency yet retain a perloid look when in the off position? anyone know?