1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass legend, Oteil Burbridge (of the Allman Brothers Band) playing NYC Friday 4/28!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Mar 24, 2006.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Woo hoo! I just found out that my band will be the warm up act for the Oteil & the Peacemakers show on Friday, April 28th @ Coda in NYC.

If you are local, come out and check it out...its gonna be a night of bass madness!!! Coda is a great club on the corner of 34th Street and Madison Avenue (conveniently located right by Penn Station).

Tickets for the show are $15 plus $3.50 service charge. Luckily, my band (www.asteriskband.com) got a bunch of tickets that we can offer without the service charge. We only received a few tickets to sell without the service fees, so if you are interested in coming out for the show, PM me or email me so you can save some cash and we can meet up so that I can get you the ticket(s).

Don't miss out on Otiel and his INCREDIBLE bass playing!!!

2. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i only have a few left...PM me for more info. sure to be a SICK show.

3. if you're in NYC and you don't go to this show...I will personally come over there and kick your ass.

Oteil was injured in a car accident the other day. I wonder if he will still make the gig??

4. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    According to reports, he only cancelled one or two gigs.

New Yorkers - PM if you need tickets...i have a few left without service fees. I have these because I am in one of the opening acts.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    burbridge was in west lafayette last month...at a 21 and over venue:bawl:

6. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i saw my first bela fleck and the flecktones show by dragging my mom to the bottom line because i was only 16 and the bar wouldn't let me in. i called up and they said "if your mom comes, we'll let you in." my mom couldn't handle the crowd so she went outside to hang out for a while and stanley clarke walked out. the bouncer recognized him and nabbed an autograph, my mom told him that i was a big fan. he said he'd like to meet me and asked where i was. my mom said i was all the way up front right in front of victor. stanley laughed and said that that was the place to be!!!

7. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    4 tickets left...get them while I still have them. I have tix for the april 28th show (where I'll be opening up for oteil). Friday night in NYC at a gorgeous venue a block and a half away from penn station on 34th & madison. pm me if you'd like a ticket.

8. Awesome gig, man. Oteil is playing up here at Cornell the very next day. I can't wait. Front row at the Flecktones next week, Oteil the week after, and Ben Folds at Cornell the week after that! Suhweet!

9. Is it a 21 over venue?

10. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    18 and over, but 21 to drink.

11. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    one week warning...pm me for advance tickets. DO NOT miss oteil when he comes to town.

12. Hes coming to a tiny little bar in syracuse on the 30th which should be amazing to see him up close. Ill try to get some pictures too.

13. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    yeah, i've seen him before...he blows my mind. i'm really excited for the opportunity to play the same night as him. i really hope he is around for my set.

14. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    Caught him in Syracuse tonight, crazy-funky. Hell of a band too.

15. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    so how was the show?

FWIW I caught Col. Bruce Hampton and The Aquarium Rescue Unit when I was at VA Tech (probably 1992) and he was a SICK player then I haven't seen him live since then, but I can only imagine that he puts on one HELL of a show!

16. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    As my drummer put it...Oteil was the FIRE!!!

17. That show was killer! It was supposed to have been in February but was cancelled when the bus broke down, then I heard he got in a motorcycle accident and thought I'd miss the show again! He played, it was amazing.

18. Otiel is amazing, but I hear he's stck up his own butt. Is it true?

19. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    No way! Actually, quite the opposite. Ask the man about bass and you'll be lucky to get a word in. Probably the friendliest guy in the world.

The band I play in opened the night and Oteil was limping around (still sore from his motorcycle accident). I play a morch (see my avatar) and Oteil had never seen one so he was asking about it and checking it out. He also picked up an Epifani rig that day so he was raving about the clarity of his new rig. Bassists of all types were chatting it up with Oteil all night and he was mingling with the crowd being extremely friendly and not at all stuck up.

I'm sure, like anyone, he can be caught on a bad night. Possibly the person who told you he is stuck up caught him on a bad night. To me, he was one of the coolest kats ever. Also, who knows what the situation was where you heard he was stuck up...the person who said that could be a total jerk...i've definitely seen folks be jerks to celebs because they expect some sort of special treatment because they are a fan.

my experience with oteil was solid as a rock. great player and even greater guy.