Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Legends dvd mark King

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tony h, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Tony h

Tony h

Dec 30, 2005
    Oakland CA , USA
    anyone got the mark King edition, is it any good ?
    Thanks

2. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Yes, I got it. There was a discussion about that DVD on www.level42webdigest.com wether it's worth the money or not. The gerneral opinion was that it's considered as some sort of 'passing off' and very confusing to the customer. It says 'Mark King' in a big and flashy title, it depicts him on the cover but everything is actually played by a guy named Phil Williams (none of the UK-L42-sages ever heard of him).
    Mr. Williams is definitely a seasoned session player but not the ultimate King expert at the same time.
    If you're into MK's stuff you could give Gary Denyers 'Slap and Pop' DVD a try (www.gazzbass.com). Very home-made but with a lot of love and dedication :)
    Or write Stu Clayton an email and help us talking him into releasing his own instuctional DVD...but I have my doubts he will at the moment.

3. For some reason Gary Denyer hasn't contacted me back??? His site seems like it hasn't been updated, but I'm very, very interested in checking out his DVDs...

4. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Gary may have gone out of businness indeed...have you tried to mail him at gazz@gazzbass.com?
    If everything else fails I might help you out with that DVD.

5. I've watched this DVD, it contains Love Games, Hot Water, The Chinese Way and Mr Pink.
    It's not very accurate although Phil Williams comes over as a very capable player
    I watched Love Games and thats about right but Mr pink has some crucial bits missing, it will however get you started if this kind ofplaying is your thing, Phil W explains what he's playing well and it's broken down by riff and each riff into smaller sections, if you want to nail stuff like Mr Pink 100%, you will have to look elsewhere once you've got down what's on the DVD

Tony

6. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Seems to be a recurring issue ;)

Get the 100%-correct-and-officially-blessed-by-Mark King transcriptions from www.stuartclayton.com, get a Tascam BassTrainer and practice, practice, practice...

Personnally I'm no big fan of instructional DVD's but if you're interested you may find a video on MK's homepage where he (very!) briefly explains his technique...and ponders about making his own DVD. We are still waiting.

7. Cheers for the plug Johnny! The Level 42 books are actually available from my publishing site www.basslinepublishing.com if anyone's interested.

Cheers
    Stu

8. bibliofiend85

bibliofiend85

Feb 8, 2011
    I'm really interested in anything that has to do with mark kings style of playing. I'm a drummer and now I find my self loving the bass more and more. I watched king talk about how he came from the same background and started applying his knowledge of drum rhythms to bass.
    King has a way of doing thumbing and pops, in combination with hammer on's rhythmically back and fourth between hands like a drummer.What I want to know is does this dvd actually teach you the mark king technique or does this guy just teach the songs with his own technique?
    How about this Gazzbass guy, he's obviously really good, does anybody know if he teaches Kings technique well?