Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"bass-less" music on CD for writing practice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by brock29609, Jun 3, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Is there any music out there that can be bought on CD for a bass player to practice writing bass lines? I'm looking for "bass-less" music to practice while I'm in-between bands.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    If you're interested in Jazz, you might like to look into Jamey Abersold's play along CDs. They have bass, piano and drums, but with the bass and piano in opposite channels, so you can easily tune one of them out.

Otherwise, you could look for some MIDI files of the songs you want to practice, and mute the bass track?

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Moley had some great ideas, but if you really want a challenge, pick up the SITSOM book, not the movie. It has a separate channel for the bass. THe chord changes in motown music fly by pretty fast, so hang on tight.

4. Alain Caron has some bassless mixes designed to be played while practicing his scored lines here: Alain Caron Scores

I suppose this could give you some insight into scoring your own lines as well.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow, I didn't realise that. I assume from what you said that the book comes with a CD?

So you can solo the bass tracks (or, conversely, listen to everything but the bass)?

6. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It comes with 2 CD's, the left stereo channel is just bass, the right side is everything else, but there are no vocals on it. In the book, the bass lines are written out, (no tabs), and there are chord changes.

There are also audio interviews on the CD's, but what I have done is saved the CD to my computer by my practice area, edited out the talking, and saved each track under it's name of the song. So if I want to play "reach out", All I have to do is double click on the file, or drag it to winamp, which has the balance control right on the skin.

It's a great system that I use every day, especially concerning the new family situation we have in the house.

click here to find out more!

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Depends on the style of music you want to play, but often you can get some mileage from singer / songwriter stuff that is arranged for, say, just guitar and voice. Plenty of room for some bass to fit alongside.

Wulf

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's great.

I must get that book.

9. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    GREAT info, guys. Thanks!

Other suggestions appreciated.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "kiss" by prince :p

11. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I like to improvise against Ambient/New Age music that doesn't contain bass, but has a variety of other instruments. I also like solo guitar music, like Alex DeGrassi, Will Ackerman, etc.

12. I've been drooling over that catalog for a while now, but there are so many books. Do you have any favorites?

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No, I've only used one of them myself ("Blues in all keys" IIRC). Maybe someone else can advise you on which to look at.

14. Hey WHOLLY MOLEY: (sorry, I just miss ED!)

Do you know if the scores for these include bass clef for Bass? Or is it PVG with left hand piano bass in bass clef?

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'll have a look when I get home.

16. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Yes they do...

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I use "Band in the Pocket for Bass" from Five Feathers. It's pretty basic bluesy stuff, but can be dressed up/frilled as needed. I hope they come out with more in the series!

Five Feathers

18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Thanks HD, I just ordered it.