Bass Lesson - Superimposing Pentatonics on a Major Chord

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    Hey guys!

Thought I'd share a new lesson I've posted to me blog about using I IV and V chord pentatonic scales on a major chord. It includes a breakdown and video, check it out!

http://www.mattlawtonbass.com/?p=342

Matt

2. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
  3. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Is the backing track C major chords only and you're using I, IV and V pentatonics? Or, are you using I, IV and V chords on backing track?

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    C major only on the backing track :)

5. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Ok, so you're able to play any of the scale tone chords over the C maj scale? For example, the I, IV, V would be C maj, F maj, G maj, which I think you mentioned in your lesson. Still learning about this stuff, will try it out today :)

6. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    Good stuff! Fishbrain haas a Quality lesson here.

Try it on II as well you'll get #11 in there... 9,3,#11,13,7.

Blues guys remember that all those minor penta finger patterns work in related minor key penta's. New sounds to the old muscle memories!

7. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Yes! Playing a major pentatonic scale starting from the I IV and V of the major scale.

If you lay out all the notes it makes it easier to see how this works so you have...

C pent = C D E G A or R 9 3 5 13
    F pent = F G A C D or 11 5 13 R 9
    G pent = G A B D E or 5 13 7 9 3

The 11th if usually considered an avoid note so you need to be careful with the F but apart from that you're all good =) Check out lesson 2 to see the full positions of the major pentatonic scale, when you combine both lessons it really gives you a lot of freedom :bassist:

And zootsuitbass that is another cool one, it will be making an appearance in my next lesson!

Thanks guys =)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021