Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass lessons once a month?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by WhatWouldOzzyDo, Feb 27, 2002.

1. WhatWouldOzzyDo

WhatWouldOzzyDo

Feb 20, 2002
    I've recently found an experienced bassist willing to give me lessons. However, he is only in town one weekend a month. My question is, is one weekend a month for an hour enough for lessons? I think this will be enough to give the direction I'm looking for.

2. WhatWouldOzzyDo

WhatWouldOzzyDo

Feb 20, 2002
    Sorry, I just realized i posted this in the wrong section.

3. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    well i dunno what ozzy would do abotu this, he didnt play bass afterall, but i guess, some lessons are better than no lessons, esp if it is a guy who is experienced and wanst to help you, i say go for it, you wotn get a chance like this again!!

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    There are two keys to this:

First is that the real key to success isn't 1 lesson a week or 1 lesson a month. The issue is regularity . If you take one lesson a month and practice, it'll be enough.

Second is this belongs in General Instruction.

Watch the closing door......

5. I think that is enough ... it all depends on what you do with what you are handed at the lesson. Use the following month to become an expert at what you are learning. I often think that a lesson once a week is too much. The student and teacher end up skimming over the material and nothing is really mastered.

I'd say go for it.

Later -
    K.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    First is that the real key to success isn't 1 lesson a week or 1 lesson a month. The issue is regularity . If you take one lesson a month and practice, it'll be enough.

I want to 2nd what Blinky said.

You get out of it what you put into it. If you practice regulary then one a month is going to be adequate.

It really erks me when I hear people say, "Ive taken lessons every week for a year, and i still suck" its because they dont practice on a regular basis.

7. If the material you are working on is challenging and deals with theory and ideas, it will definitely be worthwhile. I am also of the opinion that a lesson once a week may be a little bit too much. Sometimes it takes a while for concepts to sink in below the surface and for your ears to start really hearing these ideas. Anyway, if the teacher is good, both as a bass player and as an instructor, the lessons will only help.