1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass lessons - one on one tutor, or online course?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PTS74, Oct 23, 2016.

1. PTS74

PTS74

Jan 20, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm breaking out of the beginner stages of bass playing, and am wondering where to go from here - hire a one on one tutor or take an online course?

Right now, an online course seems the best bang for my buck, but it isn't going to pull me up on bad technique and may sometimes veer into areas that are not much interest to the player. A good example is the Scott Devine course, a laid back humorous delivery and what seems an excellent window into theory and technique, but maybe leans too hard on jazz fusion (perhaps the only genre I've little interest in).

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    IMO there is nothing to beat actually sitting in the same room opposite a good teacher.

nolezmaj likes this.
  3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I'm a big believer in face-to-face, in-person teaching for any subject or endeavor. Online courses can be good, but it's not the same as being in the same room with the teacher.

4. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Agreed... Plus, nowadays you can have online personal instruction via Skype. There is no reason why can't take both approaches, but if you are still in the earlier phases of learning, one on one is preferable.

5. Knee to knee and instant feedback.

6. Personally, I tried the on-line route... I found my lack of discipline (& need for critique) led me to a number (4) of "teachers"... I finally located a wonderful man to teach me some skills, some tunes, much understanding... so:
    one on one is the only way it works for me... YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Give just a try to both, only then you will see which one fit better your needs :thumbsup:

8. Yes, a GOOD teacher one on one. Don't be afraid to shop around and get referrals.

9. McFly

McFly

Sep 14, 2016
    Melbourne FL
    I didn't do well with online instruction either. An instructor 'knee to knee' has greatly imoroved my technique... Last week we didn't even open the book... just worked on technique, and it was more helpful than I could imagine. Great stuff. Worth every penny.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021