Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Lessons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bass_means_LOW, Feb 26, 2005.

1. bass_means_LOW

bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I'd like to make a suggestion to all jazz bassists, really.

If you are fortunate enough to live around a metropolitan area where fine jazz musicians are located, search out a player of another instrument (sax, piano, trumpet, etc) whom you would love to play with some day. Take lessons from him. (I'm not saying to stop your classical, or jazz lessons with your bass teacher.)

Who better to tell you what he likes to hear behind his solos or thru his compositions than a horn player, guitarist, piano player, or whomever.

This is how I learned Joe Henderson's book, became life-long friends and performed with him. What I didn't know is that Joe's first instrument was the double bass! He also constructed a 72 bar walking bassline over his composition, 'Isotope' which are brilliant basslines from the mind of a genius.

I hope this may be invaluable advice for some of you!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, I was thinking that very thing last week when Art Lande was here in Hawaii. I was looking for a short length of chain, just enough to reach from Art's leg to the piano, thinking "hmm, maybe they won't miss him in Colorado for a few weeks...." I'd love to get a little more insight outta that guy.

3. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    :D

Thats a good idea, I'll have to look into that (the lessons, not the chain :p ) .

Since I'm in LA I should stand some chance of tracking down a bona-fide expert :) :smug: