Bass lick Help : /

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FourStrings88, Nov 2, 2005.

1. FourStrings88

Apr 17, 2003
    Hello All

I would like to know how all of you come up with your bass licks.You obviously start in the same key as the person you are playing with.But how do you get it to sound really good.For diffrent geners or kinds, of music like a jazzier sounding groove.

I seem to be always stuck I guess with the 5th of whatever the root note is.I just need some major help in coming up with licks.

2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You just need to listen and groove. Listen to what's being played by other players and put that into your bass groove. A good player is also a good listener.
  3. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Sing or hum what you want to hear and record it. Then play it on your bass. I play what I hear in my head, right or wrong.
  4. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    And remember it's a lot more than the notes. A great player can make almost any notes sound good.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes and no. It is a lot more than just the notes, but great players are great because they make tasty note choices along with whatever else they do that makes them great.
  6. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I won't argue that the notes matter or not, just that feel is every bit as important as note choice.
  7. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I'm pretty new myself and stuggled (and still do) with this some times.

I tend to play some simple root business while getting a good feel for the tune. I don't like to mess around to much before I'm really familar with changes because it complicates the learning process. After getting the the feel down, I start to sculpt things around the sounds in my head.

If I'm stuck for whatever reason I try to fall back on my limited theory. If playing the D (2nd) when the tune is in C Major... then I work the section off of the D Minor Scale and hunt for transitions...

Then I have moments when things just happen.. I love that
  8. I don't think most bassists think in "licks" so much. You're playing music, connected to everything else, not throwing in a lick. Lots of guys have their favorite licks, but I don't think it's a "I'll play lick #17 now, and follow it with lick #12" kind of thing. I don't think that way. You play what you feel, and sometimes it could be called a lick. I don't know if anyone here was thinking different, but you stop that if you were.
  9. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Probably half the posts I make refer to "last month's bass player." But seriously, BassPlayer magazine should be required reading here . . . There was a great article under the (Woodhsed for beginners) section this month on riffs. Pick it up, its the one with Verdine White on the cover.
  10. Listen to records and find out what lick tickles your fantasy and copy that in your playing then learn the theory behind it.
    But your goal really is to hear what you hear in your head to come out of your fretboard which means woodshedding but with patience and dedication all can be possible