Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASS LIGHTS?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jake speed, Jul 22, 2002.

1. HELP,
    I HAVE PRICED PUTTING L.E.D`S IN MY BASS WOW!!!
    AS A SKILLED ENGINEER I AM GOING TO DO IT MYSELF!
    ANY TIPS AND HELP WOULD BE GREAT OR THINGS I SHOULD KNOW.
    MANY MANY THANKS
    JAKE.........

2. Jake, first tip, DON'T USE ALL CAPS, IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE YELLING.

Putting LEDs in after the fact is a pretty extensive job, from what I've heard. It's much easier to install them before the fretboard is mounted to the neck.

Did you get both the front LEDs and the side LEDs, or just one? I've thought about getting LEDs, but like I said, the work involved on a complete neck is pretty heavy. But I wish you luck, and keep us updated.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What about installing them in the body? Seems to me that that wouldn't be quite as much work... ?

4. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Go to Sims Custom LEDs at http://www.simscustom.com/nbn.asp and look at their neck only option (Nothing but neck). They do the work on just your neck and you do some work on the body. 30% discount. Should run you around 4 bills or less. They did a wonderful job on my Lakland. Got front and sides installed and no I didn't do any of the work myself as I'm just chicken sh*t

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    what was the turnaround time?

6. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    They need the bass or neck for 4 working days and shipping is about 2 days both ways so 8 days total. They book by appointment so they can stick to their schedule.

7. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    does anyone know where I can get some info on how to install LED's? I know martin sims does it, but thats pretty expensive for me. Plus the bass I'm putting the LED's in will be my own, so I can install them when building the neck.

If you know of any books or other resources on this subject, please let me know.
    thanks

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i don't know this for sure.

I think that installing LED's involves taking a thin slab from the neck out from the side. Like where the side dots are. A cavity is routed for the wire and holes are drilled under or through the fretboard for the individual LED's and their wires. the wire comes out of the neck where the neck meets the body, you drill a small hole in the neck pocket which leads to the control cavity w/ a battery and a switch.

i was told this by a local luthier but it makes the most sense to me and seems it would remove the least amount of stress-bearing wood.

9. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    I also read he uses fibre optic cable 1mm in diameter to get the light through the neck, I'm not sure how this would work or be implemented. taking a slab out of the side sounds right.

again, if anyone knows of any literature that could help with this project, please let me know
    thanks

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    seems like alot of money/time/effort for at best a glowy bass, but at worst a totally ruined instrument.

Id give it to a pro and tell him if he ruins your bass hes going to die ;)

Sims dont do neck thrus do they?

11. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Yes, they do neck-thru models but only in England. The bolt-on can be done here.

12. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    wow, how the hell would they do that?

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Jesse O'Neal of Warrior Instruments is licenced by Martin Sims of Sims LED's to install the led's in both neck thru's and bolt ons.if you have any questions feel free to contact him at oneal1994@mindspring.com

14. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Did Jesse just recently become licensed to do the neck-thru models? When I had my lakland done he told me at that time he could only do bolt-ons. He did excellent work by the way.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    At the time he had not been shown by Martin.but he is now doing them.He's done a couple of Vics(Wooten)Basses.

16. now is the time to say thanks i think,what with ,Dont try! and dont scrap you`re bass!!
    the feeling is now known!!!!!!!!!!!
    but nothing got discovered without a RISK!!!!!!!!!!

So
    i willl let you all know how i got on soon............
    Cant wait to talk to jess.
    S.I.M.S. GURU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAKE...................

THANKS TO YOU ALL..........(BOOTSY!)

17. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Eight years this thread has been dead and you add that?! :eyebrow:

18. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs