bass like a cello

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by THENIGHTWATCH, Jan 24, 2002.

Nov 6, 2001
    sorry to ri-ask this question, but..

i was wondering if there is an effect that could help my fretless bass sounds like a cello or a viola.

Someone told my about an ebow, but this one can't change my sound..
    How could i do?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If an ebow or volume pedal doesn't do it, nothing will.

Those two devices can give you some bow-like phrasing, but the fundamental tone of your instrument can't really be changed to sound like a cello.
  3. a bow... not an e-bow, a BOW
  4. there is an effect on the zoom 708 that makes it soud like a chello and veola
  5. hey man,

i do it too in 2 of our's really easy..
    1) make your bass sound real dry ( e.g. cut the highs and keep the lows flat )
    2) Use overdrive pedal, with gain at low level
    3) Turn the volume of your volume-pedal down

4) strike a note , but do the plucking on your 12th fret, instead of over the pickups

5) fade in the volume at the beginning of the note, and fade-out at the end of the note

gives you a cello-like sound.
  6. thats fun to do when you have every one of your effects on too... feel the noise!!!:D
  7. I don't know if that would work, since the strings are flat against the body, how do you think you can get to the A and D strings?
  8. I'm pretty sure that Jimmy Page used to keep one guitar with the middle strings each raised a bit so that he could use that guitar with a bow.

This would pretty much require you to have another bass around for a normal setup.
  9. you cant

unless you raise the A and the D but even that would still be hard