1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass like a cello

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by THENIGHTWATCH, Jan 24, 2002.

1. THENIGHTWATCH

THENIGHTWATCH

Nov 6, 2001
    sorry to ri-ask this question, but..

i was wondering if there is an effect that could help my fretless bass sounds like a cello or a viola.

Someone told my about an ebow, but this one can't change my sound..
    How could i do?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If an ebow or volume pedal doesn't do it, nothing will.

Those two devices can give you some bow-like phrasing, but the fundamental tone of your instrument can't really be changed to sound like a cello.

3. a bow... not an e-bow, a BOW

4. there is an effect on the zoom 708 that makes it soud like a chello and veola

5. hey man,

i do it too in 2 of our songs..it's really easy..
    1) make your bass sound real dry ( e.g. cut the highs and keep the lows flat )
    2) Use overdrive pedal, with gain at low level
    3) Turn the volume of your volume-pedal down

4) strike a note , but do the plucking on your 12th fret, instead of over the pickups

5) fade in the volume at the beginning of the note, and fade-out at the end of the note

gives you a cello-like sound.

6. thats fun to do when you have every one of your effects on too... feel the noise!!!:D

7. I don't know if that would work, since the strings are flat against the body, how do you think you can get to the A and D strings?

8. I'm pretty sure that Jimmy Page used to keep one guitar with the middle strings each raised a bit so that he could use that guitar with a bow.

This would pretty much require you to have another bass around for a normal setup.

9. you cant

unless you raise the A and the D but even that would still be hard