Bass like a Piano or Cello

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NoNoise, Mar 28, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey guys. I know Matt from Muse uses a pedal for his guitar that puts out a sound almost identical to a keyboard piano sound. I have also heard rumours of pedals that can make guitars sound like violins (with the help of an ebow). Does anyone know what these pedals are? I doubt they make them specifically for bass, but I would like to try them to see if I could get some good sounds, even if I had to play in the upper range of my bass. Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    well, i dont know thew muse, but a tip you cxan use is to have a volumen pedal cuting all the signal, you play a note/chord and the you start giving volumen form the pedal inm a sutil way, so you can mimic a string instrument. you can also do it with your vol knob on your bass
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That doesn't sound conducive to very speedy playing.. and probably far from an actual effect. Poor man's orchestral stylings!!! :D
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  5. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    in what songs does matt's guitar sound like a piano? because the songs featuring piano sounds are made, i believe, with a digital piano.

the bassist on the other hand uses synths to make piano sounds such as in feeling good and muscle museum, and im pretty sure he uses the abovementioned roland synth to do that.
  6. I don't know if there is a single pedal for this, but on my GT 6B there is an effect, called "SLOW GEAR" which does this for you.
    when you pull a string there can be almost no tone and then slowly the note you've played gets louder.

Sounds only good when playing slow things.
  7. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'll listen through my Muse CDs today to try to find the specific song I'm thinking of. I thought he played keyboard on one part (since he plays keyboard on a lot of songs/parts), but when I saw them live, he was playing guitar! I was amazed. Thanks for your help everyone, especially for pointing me to the roland and for confirming that Chris uses it. TBers Rock :bassist:
  8. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    A lot of guitarists do that swell-string thing. Few who come to mind are Alex Lifeson, Steve Howe, Jeff Beck... lots more.