1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Limiters

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GreggBummer, May 28, 2011.

1. Currently, I use a Boss LM-2B Bass Limiter. It is the discontinued brown model. It works OK, but I am considering trying to find a better limiter. I'm not looking for compression. I am looking for a limiter. If the box can do double duty as a compressor and a limiter, that is a bonus... but not a requirement.

I use my limiter to keep my wah and filters under control. It keeps them from getting too "peaky" and kind of keeps everything even volume wise. I don't do much slapping, but when I do, I usually use the limiter.

The problem with the LM-2B is that it doesn't have very much control. It has three knobs. Threshold, Level, and Enhance. The enhance knob is pretty useless. It sort of scoops the mids... I'd rather not color my sound that way, so it keep it dialed all the way down. The Threshold knobs and level knobs do what you think they would do... set the limiting threshold and overall volume.

Suggestions?

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    The only one I have experience with is the LMB-3, which is basically the same pedal, but with an added ratio knob. I liked it a lot and thought it was a very clean and good limiter

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Aguilar TLC, while marketed as a compressor, does (IMO) a very good job as a limiter. Bongo has a pretty good list of limiters here: My top picks

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I use my TLC primarily as a limiter. Works excellent.

5. Gwardar

Gwardar Supporting Member

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    As far as I understand a limiter is essentially a compressor with infinite (or at least very large) compression ratio. So I would look around for compressors that have wide ratio adjustments.

The Boss LMB-3 is one of them although it wouldn't be much of an upgrade from what you've got now. It's a pretty good (and fairly quet) compressor/limiter although the "enhancer" feature hisses like a mad snake.

6. I'm pretty familiar with Bongos site. He does great work.

I was sort of looking for a wider opinion.

The TLC is very well reviewed and probably is at the top of my list. A stated above, the LMB-3 is good but not an improvement over what I have.

I'm trying to find a local shop that has a TLC... but that is sort of difficult.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

My chain: TU2, EBS MultiDrive, SA BEF, Ibanez flanger, Boss Chorus, 105Q Wah, TLC. The TLC works perfectly as a limiter.

8. That is a similar set up to mine:

Boss Tu2-->Boss OC3-->Sansamp VT Bass-->Sansamp PBDDI-->Morley Bass Wah-->Cruiser Chorus-->LM-2B

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    You'll like the TLC. ;)