Bass Limitors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Snips Maginty, Dec 13, 2000.

1. What is the limitor used for? When the limitor light comes on, what exactly does it mean? I've read a couple articles about what limitors are, but still, I am lost. I have an SWR 4004 Bass Head. During rehearsal last week, the green "Limitor" light started flashing and then the entire rig lost power. Can someone explain it to me as if I am a 4 year-old?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    A limiter is kind of like a compressor in that it effects the volume of your signal. A limiter keeps the level from going above a certain point. A good example is in slapping. If you slap a string the volume can sometimes be a great deal louder (depending on your style) than if you played fingerstyle. Therefore, if you used a limiter, it would keep the pop or slap from going above a certain level, keeping your volume more consistent (assuming you are switching from fingerstyle to slap). Limiters also protect your amp, protecting from volume "spikes" that could potentially damage the speaker.

In your specific case, you were probably driving your amp too hard, and it's built in limiter just shut everything down. I have a Peavy combo with DDT (a limiter/clip detector type thing) and when I played too loud for too long, the clip light would just stay on and the amp would shut down. Hope that helps you out!