Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Line Quality has gone down in the popular music these days

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DSOTM, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When i listen to some of my parents stuff from the 50's i realize wow! the bass lines in popular songs then are better than the bass lines now! And i also have alot of stuff like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, The who, The beatles etc. The bass lines are soo much easier to leanr and are amazing to play. when i listen to some new stuff it is just [nonsense] and i say, Get that guy off the stage and take his bass away because he sucks! But i am a meta head/ hardcore guy but i have no respect for new metal like Korn, Adema, Linkin Park, and hoobastank

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    [Dude voice on]
    Yeah...well, you know...that's just like...your opinion man.
    [Dude voice off]

:D

3. Oh yeah, I agree with you...

Hey, I've actually thought about doing that...

IMHO, those are the better "Nu-Metal" Bands around, at least they sing...

4. big lebowski rules.

Tell me mr. Lebowski Is what makes a man is being prepared for whatever comes in his way?

5. What are you talking about?

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    ill agree with you DSOTM.... i get really sick of hearing root note bass parts, either that or when they play it like its a drum... on upright its cool but with a 5 string and smiley eq i think its dumb.

thats why i bought a GT-7 :D

7. Does it matter? You can't hear the goddamn bass anyway. :D

8. the thing that pisses me off about new **** is. everything is the same 4 notes over and over and agin in differant orders and patterns.

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I must admit ,this is so true.

10. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    I just noticed this on the way home from Resident Evil tonight. During the chorus of every song, the guitar is playing a power chord, the bass is playing the corresponding note over and over, and on every beat the cymbals crash. The songs are based on the vocals alone. The way I think of vocals is that they are just another instrument that can send a more explicit message.

P.S: The movie was okay.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you've listened to any Hoobastank music (including the older Hoobustank stuff with the saxophonist) there are some awesome basslines. There is plenty of good music out there with good basslines, you're just not looking in the right places.

Wait, and van halen has great basslines? .....

12. Right Now has a killer bassline.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think what you are noticing is that the songs about then, had a lot more chords in them - the chord sequences were more involved and usually written by professionals who knew about music theory.

Hence the basslines outlining the chords had to be more interesting.

Whereas, the trend seems to have been, since about the end of the 60s, for guitarists in pop bands to say that they don't need theory and that formal musical education will "stifle their creativity" - whereas in fact the opposite has happened.

So - most popular songs are based around a very few chords that fall easily under the hands of untutored guitarists - this means that the bass players has less choice as well.

Of course all these chords are still present in Jazz which has far more harmonic variety - for example, half-diminished chords are quite common, but I can't remember hearing one in ten years of playing popular music in the 80s/early 90s!

Anyway - if you want interesting basslines now, the easiest way is to check out some Jazz. :cool:

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ...very true bruce

i think also, now we're well and truly in the age of digital music a songwriter doesnt even have to be able to play any particular instrument to write a song.... just poke around a few keys on a keyboard.

a no 1 single can be written almost by the numbers, 100% formulaic.

The artist is R&B and the song is about love: we use these chord, we use this beat, we use this style bass line and these harmonies.

- which means that there's no guitarist to sweat over a solo, no bassist to work on a groove and no drummer to spend hours perfecting his hat triplets... or whatever it is they bloody do whilst everyone else is trying to discuss the set!!! ;)

..apparently - i heard somewhere, maybe on here? - britney's (we're on 1st name terms since that brute justin dumped her) songs are written by a team of songwriters... very sensible & business-like... but it does mean that the last breath of individuality is squeezed from the music by a team who are intent on becoming millionaires.

15. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    another interesting point i think is that *UK garage ... has great beats, but totally crap bass.

They spend all the time mousing a decent beat and dont rarely bother with a decent bass line.

* not the lamo US housey "tss-tum, tss-ta" garage.

16. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    I'd like to know what you guys are listening to.
    Yea...the there are some songs with just roots and maybe 4 chord changes, but thats not all of the new stuff.

17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I was thinking of pop music.. as in chart music... of course UK chart music is almost 100% computerised ****...

you chaps & chapesses in the us have more bands in the pop music scene than we do..

i was thinking of mi-teeq, britney, so solid crew, etc...

18. You killed your point when mentioning Van Halen as having great basslines. I can think of several modern rock bands that have had much more interesting basslines in the past few years, including Incubus (The Warmth, Are You In?, Deep Inside), Rage Against the Machine, and Tool. I love old stuff like Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Floyd, too, but that doesn't mean that I can't hear some cool basslines in today's music. And I can also hear that Van Halen has some pretty cheesy basslines. :D

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I agree... the issue here is the definition of 'popular music' - I think of popular music as what's on top of the pops... music that is bought by twelve year olds!

In my mind pop music = [not very good] music.. purely because in the UK decent music very, very rarely gets in the charts.

20. (Nu-Metal voice on)
    Dude, the reason our music doesnt have great bass lines, is because we are more focused on the message of the song, then the actual mucis
    Its all about the message....
    (Nu-Metal voice off)

Which is????????:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.