Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Linear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jul 8, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone used this product Bass Linear It looks interesting. I was thinking about trying it in one of my cabs

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've tried all sorts of cabinet linings and none of them made any significant difference to the cab's overall sound. At the end of the day, lining a cabinet serves one purpose – to eliminate standing waves ie. To stop frequencies bouncing around inside the cabinet. The laws of physics being what they are, sound waves of low frequencies are too large to fully form within the confines of a cabinet, therefore 1) they are unable to reflect around inside the cab, and 2) they contain enough energy to pass right through the lining anyway. Look at dedicated PA subs (vented) on the market and you’ll see that a lot of them don’t have any lining at all.

So the frequencies that are more likely to bounce around inside the cab have to be small enough to fully form within the cab itself. In other words, we’re talking about midrange and high frequency signals. The lining’s job it to eliminate the hard surfaces inside the cab, making it impossible for the mid and high frequencies to reflect off them.

That’s it. It’s as simple as that! Anything additional to this is pure marketing hype.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    thanks pete...what lining do you sugust I use to cut frequencies from 300hz and up, as I'm building a two way. :D

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whatever's cheap and squishy is what I'd use. This looks like egg-crates being sold for too much money.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Seriously, anything will do. I tend to use whatever egg-crate shaped foam tiles I can get my hands on because not only does it do the job, they're easy to install. Just cut them to shape and glue them down.

But sonically, it still sounds the same as just using some cheap acrylic acoustic fibre sheets like this stuff. .

Where you can get differences in sound is by experimenting with how many walls you line. On some of my cabs I've lines all 6 walls because that's what sounded best. On others, I've only lines 3 walls. The difference is not huge, but there can be slight changes in the delivery of the mids. As long as you don't get any ringing, you're job is done.

Care to share info on what you're building?...... Or is it a secret? :)

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it's a folding horn design with a DELTA-12LFA 12" in the lower horn for the low end, and a ALPHA-8MRA 8" for the mids, and highs. I'm actually building the cab, and using the design from....http://www.billfitzmaurice.com

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is the lining for the 12 or for the 8? From what I can remember, the 8" has a sealed back doesn't it? If so, there's probably no need to line it.

If it's for the 12, it would have to be running full range before we needed any lining. If there’s a crossover in there directing the mids and highs away from the 12, then again lining is probably not necessary.

That said, adding lining can't hurt. And if you decide you don't like it, it's easy enough to remove.

Interesting design too. Those 12LF's have a lot of bottom end. Add a tweet and it could even become a decent PA speaker IMO.