Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass lines and Melody

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 15, 2002.

1. I've been making little bass solo songs on my little 4 track (gimme a break, my dad won't let me touch his Beringhear mixer or do anything with protools) and I have been making either, extravagent and very complexed basslines, with a simple 4 line melody. Sorta like Jaco meeting up with these 4 chord pop punk bands. I was just wondering how i could make each of these parts equally challenging?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    4 line melody? Do you mean four chord harmony (eg G C Em D)? Maybe the best place to start is thinking about how you make these complex basslines and then apply the same ideas to anything else... but make sure you leave a bit of space in there for the music to breathe!

Wulf

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Try forgetting about the challenging and focus on being 'musical' - the challenging bit works best if it is in the service of some sort of musical idea - start with something simple that works - a melody and some chords - then think about what's voicing those chords, how you can best create a link between the bass line and the tune, or how you can imply other chords, or whatever...

start with a musical aim, and work on the chops and theory needed to get you to that place, instead of thinking about a technique and then trying to write some music for it. That approach does work, and can be great way out of a writing rut, but it doesn't sound like you're there yet, so go for music... :)

have fun

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    im very interested in hearing you FF