Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Lines That Make You Sick (Physically)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by danqi, Dec 26, 2003.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    When listening to Muse, especially Hysteria, I - sometimes more, sometimes less - get a feeling of physical sickness. A weird, uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. I think the bassline has got a lot to do with it.

Any similar experiences to share?

P.S.: No "Band X sucks so hard they make me sick." kinda stuff.

2. Meh. Muse's bassist does write a lot of "up an down" (not too sure how to describe this!) stuff, that I suppose could make you a bit nausious (not too sure how to spell this!) but it's what makes them sound so good and original (compared to other mainstream bands) Hysteria is on the telly as I write this, and I can kind of see what you mean.
    Love Rollercoaster, Rollercoaster of Love, whatever it's called (not too sure of anything at the moment!), the bassline from that makes me a bit queazy, probably the Chili Peppers' video with the rollercoasters going very fast added to it (I know it's a cartoon, but I hate rollercoasters!) That's the only one I can think of at the moment though.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    When I hear a techno or a rap song it has the same effect...

4. *uds uds uds uds uds uds uds bmmmmmpthmp*

Yea, techno gets me too.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    boom tist. boom tist, boom tist, boom tist, boom chicky wicky, repeat about 7 million times and you have just composed 99% of all techno..

Your from Garbage City? I'm from Wasteland Mi, I bet a lot of your friends like techno and glow sticks. A lot of mine do, I just don't get it.

6. I like the bassline, but I hate that "wasp fart" distortion + synth sound he uses- annoyingly on every song- "time is running out" also.

the bassline on Saint Etienne's "only love can break your heart" makes me feel a bit queasy- the timing is wobbly, and I think it's a looped sample throughout the track.

7. Yay for small cities that smell funny... :rolleyes:

8. wizo

wizo Guest

Jan 23, 2003
    For some reason, although i love the Guess Who the bassline to These eyes makes me want to vomit. ps: Technos and Glow sticks are great when your on something so lets stop the techno bashing, haha:bassist:

9. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I was listening to the classical show on my local college radio station with the bass cranked, and some of it had that effect on me. That really rough bowed doublebass sound can really get to you.

10. Wow, yeah, I really really hate techno too. I wonder if anyone on this board could actually like techno since the rhythm is so monotonous and boring. I suppose some people will like it just by law of averages right? I don't see how anyone could get into it (sober anyway) and dance to it, it drives me insane.

ed morgan likes this.
  11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    boom,boom,boom,boom, chicky wicky, boom tis,boom tis, boom tis, boom tis, chicky wicky...

Come on how could you not like such great music? Everytime I hear I just just feel like I am going to have a convulsion or siezure. I must be just wierd because I tell everyone how much I cant stand techno and just how basic it is just kills me and a lot people like it. I guess thats the price of being a musician, I hear music very technically. I like at least one change in a song for me to call it a song. If techno had good song structures and changes more like regular music I may like it more. But to play the same beat and riff for 5 minutes and by adding a chicky wicky sound to me just dont constitute a song. There is nothing I can get nothing out of it musically, lets face it drum machines and computers dont do much for bass players or drummers like myself.

12. billystagg

billystagg

Sep 21, 2003
    I've been noticing rap/hip hop -- post mid 90's, has had very poor basslines.. these basslines have the ability to produce heartburn faster than a beef gordita.

Aside from that, the high picthed distorted female voices in hip hop have got to go ("Get By/High", "Oh Boy" are two examples) . Its a horrible trend that needs to be put to rest.

Aside from that aside, I hope you guys don't all feel the same way about electronica when you speak about techno the way you do. I agree, there is techno out there that is kind of scary, or can make you "physically sick". But, don't put a group down just because they have the "Techno" label following them. There are very talented electronic bands that you guys would most likely enjoy, being 'bassists' and all.

Por Ejemplo

Try "The New Deal" -- Canadian trio that has an absolutely SICK bassist. Very good live band. (No monotonous rythms)

"Squarepusher", although leaning more toward the drum and bass genre, is another absolutely sick bassist, that plays live bass over insanely programmed drum tracks. Will not make you sick, but might warp your sense of reality.

Oh yeah, I play with a electronica/house group regularly. Its fun stuff.

Will

13. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    80s group modern talking. the same bassline for ALL their songs. formulaic.

Gone are the days of rap with good basslines. Recall Tribe Called Quest had Ron Carter on the bass ("yes my man Ron Carter, is on the bass.") in "The Low End Theory".

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I know that you can edit waveforms to cause them to sync up with your brainwaves causing altered physical states. I don't know the actual science behind it, but I'm working with it in small amounts in my CD I'm making. If I had it on MP3.com still I'd show you. I made a song where I distorted the bass and threw a "Brainwave Syncronizer" on the track off of Cool Edit Pro and it is very... well I don't know. But it's like relaxing, but makes you feel slightly uneasy. Like I said, I don't know the exact science behind it, my friend does to an extent and has explained it to me someone. He's generated brown noise (a less intense white noise... no sick puns please ;) ) and made it so it would make you get sleepy... then sleep then jolt you awake for less than a second but really intense, then right back to sleep. The awakened state was only a few times in the sleep period and you awake at the end remebering only those moments... weird and wild stuff. But no, no natural basslines make me sick... well there is Fieldy, but I won't go there.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's because they moved away from sampling funk and jazz basslines. Mostly Parliment basslines, actually. Hence the term "G-Funk."