Bass lines you HAVE to learn to get your card...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LikeButtah, Feb 24, 2010.

1. LikeButtah

LikeButtah

Jan 20, 2010
    I'm gonna say "Jungle Boogie" is a must.

2. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    "Brick House", "Cissy Strut", and "Another One Bites the Dust" come to mind...

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Stratus
    Chameleon
    Barney Miller
    Night Court

4. I don't know or care how to play any of those basslines and will never learn them. I don't need no steenkin' card!

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yeah, those are pretty foreign to me too. Well, "Brick House" and "Cissy Strut" aren't, but "Jungle Boogie" has never come across my radar screen as any sort of "must know", nor has "Chameleon", nor the TV themes. The ones I needed to know were "Knock On Wood" (Eddie Floyd), "Midnight Hour" (Wilson Picket), "Get Ready" (The Temptations).

Now what I think every bassist should know is what Bill Wyman plays on the verse of the studio recording of "Honky Tonk Women", what Andy Fraser played on the verses of "Alright Now", and what Prince played on the whole of "Purple Rain". And what Larry Graham played on "Everyday People". There are very very valuable lessons in those parts. Much more important than if it's a line folks bass players should know.

John

6. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

I can play that and I do on All Right Now - But I do play along with the verse on HonkyTonk women. Feels kind of empty with out any bass at all.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    In 35+ years of playing, not one single person has ever asked me to play that song. ;)

8. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    Seems like all the bands I've played in have standards along the lines of Knock on Wood, Shaky Ground, Superstition, Play that Funky Music...Guess it doesn't hurt that some have had some of the same members and all are from the same area so they've all influenced each other.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021