1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass live or recording microphone

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by cirrosis, Oct 31, 2010.

1. cirrosis

cirrosis Supporting Member

May 28, 2008
    if i dont wanna use di for recording for live for bass sound pick up, what is a good recommdation for microphone.

thx!

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What's your speaker arrangement in your cabinet?
    If it's a two or three way you may need multiple mics.

Realize that a speaker also reflects sound of other instruments hitting the cone and baffle into the mic.

Going direct is best

3. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Why? Direct or using a line out is a cleaner, louder signal that's more controllable.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

Some of us prefer the tone of an sm57 on an eminence 10" bass speaker to a di box.

5. Depends on your rig, music and the sound you want to capture. A 57 or 58 paired with a DI is a great way to go. For a fuller mic only sound you might try a bass drum mic or large diaphragm dynamic mic, but some sound good other have such a hump in them they don't sound good for bass, I sometimes use a CAD KBM 412 on bass amps with satisfying results.

6. Sennheiser MD 421
    Beyer M88
    AKG D112

7. adamb1026

adamb1026

Nov 6, 2010
    Belfast
    Sennheiser E602 or preferably DI'd using Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI

8. DeadPoet

DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003
    Belgium
    I think it totally depends on the sound you're after. Great tones can be had with dynamics, LDC's and tube LDC's... A MD421 will give you something completely different than a U47(fet)...

Herwig

9. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    If the OP doesn't know what mic to use, how is it that he prefers a mic?

10. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    If the OP doesn't know how to use the search function, how many mic suggestions has he already missed?

11. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
  12. +1