Bass Luthier in Boston

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Chris Colletta, Jan 8, 2003.

1. I am new to the Boston area and was wondering if anyone on the site knows of any good luthiers in the area.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  3. Samuel, thanks for the reply, the thread was very useful. I had contacted Mark Carlsen and planned to take my bass in to repair a small crack in the upper bout, when I discovered a not so small crack on the front of the bass, directly over the bass bar. It extends from the bottom of the bass (flush with the saddle) directly up the bass bar for about a foot.
    So, I have a couple of questions:
    1) Is this type of damage repairable?
    2) If so, does it require the attention for a master luthier, the level of which can only be found in NYC?
    This is by no means an indictment of Mark Carlsen (I do not have any idea of his reputation beyond what I have read on this board), but it seems to me that repairing a crack that rests directly over a structural element of the bass that is responsible for the transfer of sound to the resonating chamber may be delicate work. Any comment would be appreciated.

4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

What makes you think that the best luthiers are in NYC? Best pizza-sure. Best jazz-mebbe. Best luthiers-I dunno. People are willing to travel to a good luthier. Yes, this does sound like a delicate repair. I have spoken to Mark a bunch and have gotten a good vibe. He has a good rep. Haven't actually seen his work though. Zach Martin is in Providence and I have seen much of his work. Very fine workman and could do that job to a T. I posted contact info in "setup and repair" today.
  5. jeff, the best pizza is in boston, the northend, not to far from the north bennett street school of violinmaking. pizzaria raggina's (mmmmm). and i also must say that the boston string shop has lots of bass experence (mass ave. near symphony hall, i found them in the book)
  6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Ahh....NBSS...did you go? I was there for a bit under Marilyn Wallin, Rodger Perrin, Kevin Kelly and a few others.

They are looking for a new full time teacher, again. Good gig if you have the skills.
  7. The Nahrmann Bass Shop is not too far from Boston, and Herr Nahrmann has lots of experience.

- Wil