bass luthier in question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Youngspanion, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever heard of Scott Russ Music in Freeport Long Island?. Hes a whole saler to schools and more. He said he carves the frettboard and sets the bass up. He's in bussiness for 47 years and he e-mailed me a letter From the BBB with a clean record.He offered basses to me starting (hopfully finishing) at 688$ US.

2. DB's do not have frets or fretboards! :eyebrow:
  3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Like Paul said.....

The Double Bass has no fretboard or frets, it has a fingerboard. It is not related to the Electric Bass - that's a "guitar" instrument. The Double Bass is a "violin" instrument. If you're in Staten Island, I'd suggest you take the ferry over and see Bill Merchant, David Gage, etc in the city. Bob Gollihur's luthier directory will give you the contact info. Good luck
  4. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Considering your location, you owe it to yourself to go visit Gage or Schnitzer. Both offer Shen's, which are great basses for the money.
  5. Steve, as everybody is kinda hinting, you're in DB fertile ground! Do yourself a favor: Start in the Basses Forum Heading and work your way through all the stuff under buying basses etc. There are MANY wonderful bass shops and great Luthiers that specialize in our instrument just around the corner (so to speak)
    I haven't heard of the shop you mention, but that doesn't mean may be fine, but with so mant heavy bass shops around, please don't settle on something that doesn't have a really good REP.
    Best of luck.
  6. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    OK, I know you are not supposed to directly disparage others in the business but the subject of this thread is an affront to those in the business trying to do the right thing. Danger, Will Robinson!
  7. ScottRussMusic

Feb 15, 2013
    2170 Sunrise Hwy, Merrick, NY 11566
    President, Scott Russ Music Inc
  8. ScottRussMusic

Feb 15, 2013
    2170 Sunrise Hwy, Merrick, NY 11566
    President, Scott Russ Music Inc
    I was recently made aware of this misquote made a while back and would like to set the record straight regarding the subject of this thread. The double bass has no fretboard or frets, it has a fingerboard. We don't carve the fingerboard, we hand carve the bridge. We dress the fingerboard. We set up all our new and vintage double basses to top professional standards. We are not in business 47 years but have been in business, family owned and operated since 1947. My father, Don Russo, was a top professional luthier and double bassist who performed with The New York Philharmonic and Duke Ellington, started our business with my mother, Sandra Russo in 1947. We do have a AAA+ rating with the BBB. Thank you for letting me set the record straight. Scott Russ
    gerry grable likes this.
  9. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, 9.5 years later, but better than never! :) That's an "A+" rating, as your web site and this one indicate. Yes? Congrats on that!
  10. robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I rememember them. They had a regular ad in the VV unchanged for the duration of my years in NYC. Good deals sometimes, but let's just say that I didn't go there for repair work. That was long ago, however. Things can change.