1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Luthiers in Northern California

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by greene, Dec 3, 2008.

1. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    I was asked by a friend to recommend but I suspect my own references may be somewhat out of date.

I'm sure you guys know who's who so any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance.

2. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Where are you located?

In Sacramento, Jeff Sahs would be the man to see.

Jeff Sahs Violins

1707 Wentworth Ave, Sacramento, CA. Tel: 916-739-1962

3. mojoluthier

mojoluthier

Feb 17, 2007
    Petaluma, CA
    I am doing more bass work lately, located in Petaluma. I did work just this week for Gary Brown, Glenn Richman, and Chris Amberger, any of whom will likely say kind things about theie experience.

4. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I've never had one made "from scratch," but Mike Dolan has done a fair bit of repair work for me and always done a wonderful job. If I was creative enough visually, I'd design something and have him build it, I know it would get done right.:)

5. Jeff Sahs is quite good, reasonable & quick. I'll need to have a top split addressed soon myself.

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Nice try bassteban! :D Can't you just download something and paste it in there? Here man, use this for now. :)

Attached Files:

7. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Sacramento's Jeff Sahs and I have a great 4 year relationship. If you can get scheduled in to his busy workload, he'll give you fine setup that will make it easy for you to take your bass to the limit of its abilities.

My other favorite is Matt Bohn, "the Bass Doctor", in Felton (near Santa Cruz) who has been doing work for me for over a year. He also does fine setup work tailored to your specific needs. He can be reached at (831) 335-1281. His shop is located in his home at 202 Lazy Woods Road, Felton, CA 95018

Good luck!

8. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area

Michael is a great builder and repair person but you are on the Double bass side of Talkbass. Michael is a guitar and electric bass person.

bob