1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass luthiers near louisville KY?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Kaden, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Lately i have been looking for a bass luthier who can install a b extension on my bass i was woundering if anyone knows of a luthier relativly close to the louisville Ky area.
    :help:

2. jbenner913

jbenner913

Mar 3, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    I say that you should take a visit to the Cincinnati Bass Cellar. I know that Cincinnati is about an hour away from Louisville, but it is definitely worth the trip. Andy and Chris are both great guys and they'd be more than happy to take care of your extension.

Jon

3. JimGullen

JimGullen orch. bassist trapped in a statistician's body...

Oct 25, 2005
    West Bloomfield, MI
    +1

It's 4.5 hours to the Bass Cellar for me and after the bridge Chris put on for me, I'll never think twice about the drive. The work is that good...

...and they're great guys.

Best regards!
    Jim

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've used both the Bass Cellar and Nnick Lloyd's shop. Both do great work. In the past few years I've been going to Nnick because of his openness to my ideas about how I'd like my bass to sound and play (even if they're slightly unconventional), and because he's really great about scheduling things in such a way that out of town folks like myself can arrive early and leave *with* the bass the same day when such a thing is possible.

Either way, you can't go far wrong with either of these shops. All three guys (Andy, Chris, and Nnick) are good people, good luthiers, and sillier than a lungfull of nitrous oxide. What more could you ask?

EDIT: Kaden, just checked yer profile...say hi to Patrick O'Roark for me when you see him. We had some fun times on a trip to the UK a while back.

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Please reconsider the B extension. Every one I have seen has warped because of the excessive downward pressure on the end of the extension. And the length puts a lot of leverage on the neck. Isn't C low enough?

6. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    I am not sure how far it is from Louisville but you might want to talk to the guys from Rob/Wave guitars in Paducah, KY. Their number is 270-619-6007

7. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Please, by all means, follow Arnolds advise. He is one of the best. I agree with Chris and others about the cinci guys. Chris and I both got our basses made by Arnold with final touches and set up through Nick. Chris has 2 of them , lucky dog.:hyper:

8. i will definatly reconsider the b extension thanks for the advice