Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Made in Western Germany

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by viking_456, Apr 23, 2002.

1. viking_456

viking_456

Jan 14, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    I am currently trialing a bass with the label "Made in Western German". I have been told that the "ern" means that the bass was made just after WW II when there were four sectors in Germany. On the other hand, the condition of the bass is quite good. The edges are torn up a little, but the finish is in great shape. It sounds great and is pretty loud.

Does anyone know how I can get more information on the origin of this bass?

Thanks!

2. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    :p
    I have a bass that just says made in germany in it. Its a beautiful instrument. send a piture of yours to me and maybe they look alike. My current teacher said he thought it might be from mittenwald (?) germany. I guess there was a company or something there.

3. viking_456

viking_456

Jan 14, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    I decided not to buy the bass. I trialed it for a week and returned it. John and World of Strings looked it over and said that it was probably a Wilfer from the 1950 which would be consistent with the the previous story that I had heard. The finish was in really good shape, but there were a few cracks on the top. I liked it, but for $9,000 it was over priced considering that you can get a new Wilfer for less than that.