Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Magazines, too expensive outside US?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kiwlm, Mar 23, 2004.

1. I am in US, they are affordable/cheap!

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. I am in US, they are a bit expensive here too!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I am outside US, they are affordable/cheap!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. I am outside US, they are damn expensive!

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  5. Magazines are not worth my money anyway.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Do u guys feel that magazines are too expensive overseas? In our country, a fresh graduate usually earns around RM2000 a month, I heard that in US, the fresh graduate there earns around USD2000 a month too. So, for a magazine that cost the US fellas USD10, will cost us around RM35 over here... which I felt that its a bit expensive!

What do you guys think?

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Current issue Bass Player is $16.20AUD over here. I think that's pretty damn expensive. I still usually end up buying it though :meh:

3. Considering all the spam that pollutes the pages of BP and the like, yes, they're way overpriced.

Especially since you don't get any more of Bryan Beller's brilliant stories.

TalkBass is virtually spam-free and is full of useful info and helpful folks, and it's free (unless you're willing to support, and even then, it's way cheaper than subscribing to BP)! :cool:

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I still purchase BP and I think they are evolving in a positive way as time goes on. The other magazines I like are Bassics, which is worth it if only for the CD, and Bass Guitar Magazine (British mag). I did get a sub to that new Bass Magazine from Guitar World for both myself and my son. That one is not worth the price IMO, although he seems to like it.

Edit: I wish there was an option for "it depends" because it varies from magazine to magazine. Therefore I didn't vote.

Dan

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I live outside of the US, but not very far (Ontario, Canada), so the magazines are pretty cheap here. I guess they could be cheaper though... :)

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I answered "affordable" only because the postage here in the US makes all the difference, IMO.

I used to buy some English music mags, but, once they cross the Atlantic, the price skyrockets. There's a good Canadian bass mag that's decently priced here in the US as well.

You're a smart guy, JMX --- maybe this is your calling when you retire!!

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    There is? Which one?

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I will respond, christle.........just give me some time. Tonight I have rehearsal for a new set we have to play this weekend and I have unorganized stacks of bass mags dating back to the day "Bass Player" first showed up.

I'm pretty much mentally drained on these new sets because the bass is so disrespected in the mix, like that godawful,overly commercial, Bon Jovi Jiveass.