1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass magazines - what do you all want to see in them ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pfschim, Oct 7, 2010.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Hey, just curious. I am a casual reader of Bass Player and our own Tom Bowlus's Bass Gear mag, and am just wondering about how bass players view and see these 'zines today.

What do any of you read these publications for ?
    What needs do they fill ?
    What would you want to see different/what's missing ?
    Do you use the online features these publications offer ?

let me know

thanks

2. I usually read them for gear reviews (I like to know what's out there) but also if there's a particular bassist featured, then I like to read interviews. Plus in Bass Player there's been some great lessons and theory points.

The one thing that's missing though is more theory-based articles. I know Bass Player in particular sometimes does series on different styles and eras of bass, but something a little more planned and universal would be amazing.

3. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I read them because I prefer printed medium. There's nothing like sitting in your chair and reading with a cup of coffee...
    BP recently impressed me with their costumer service. I had moved and missed two issues, and they gladly sent them to my new address.
    I do check out the online material as well.

4. Yeah, I like to take magazines with me to read when I'm going to be making long bus trips. Usually it's a choice of Rhythm (drumming mag), Bass Player or Keyboard magazine.

5. Hot dames and plenty of 'em!

6. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    More than 70 or 80 pages

7. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    NOT 70% advertisements

8. Will pictures of pretty basses not do ya??!

9. ^ bad choice of words

10. Oops...:D

11. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Take a look at Guitar World Magazine. It should be just like that but geared for bass.

12. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    +1

13. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    I'd like to hear stories from the guys that were playing in the early years of R&R. If somebody doesn't get that stuff NOW, we may lose it forever. Maybe they have some vintage pics that would bring a smile as well.
    B.

14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I hear ya there brother. I am an inveterate reader myself, and while I am totally comfortable with digital and online media, there is nothing quite like spending some time in your favorite chair or hammock, with a cup or a glass of your favorite beverage, and reading something interesting and enlightening that you hold in your hands like a book, magazine or newspaper - something tangible.

I try to read through 2 separate newspapers just about every day too.

Dying breed though, I'm afraid.

Keep the comments coming - very interesting

15. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    What I want is more real-world lives of bass players. Not the superstars but guys who have to lug their own stuff, get good gigs and not-so-good gigs. The ups and downs.

Don't want articles about bass player who is in latest trendy band but isn't really that interesting and said article is pretty much the same as one you might get in Rolling Stone except it tells you what model his bass is, but aside from that its just fanboy triva.

But these days I tend to read them in the shop as after buying these magazines they tend to repeat and say very little that is new. Especially when they go over a 'classic' band's bassist and you knew all that stuff when they first came out. You can tell when they just rehash stuff.

16. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I wish Bass magazines (most American mags really) would take a page from their European counterparts and divide the magazine into style-based sections with lessons and tunes; in each issue. Guitar Techniques is the best. There is a bass version also, but I've only come across an issue once before.

Bass Player does an okay job, but it's pretty thin when it comes to true meat and potatoes. Unless there is someone I really dig on the cover I tend to stay away from buying it. I'll skim through it in the store.

GW, Acoustic Guitar, etc etc etc...all the same. Next time you're in a bookstore, pick up one of those hefty $15 UK versions...one issue of those can keep me busy learning and practicing for a month (or two) easily. Plus...who doesn't like seeing color spelled "colour"?

17. with dots in place of tabs on the transcription pages, i'd buy it.....

18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I am very interested in learning which publications provide excellent discourse on musicianship and theory - especially from a jazz bassist's perspective. The DB side of TalkBass is becoming a repository of gems on musicianship and theory. KUDOS to all involved!

I've been impressed by BassGear magazine. It's a little lopsided in favor of electric basses, but DB is not forgotten.
    Despite the rocky start and irregular publication schedule, :) I like the way BassGear pairs a technically detailed analysis with a subjective review in which few punches are pulled.

I loathe reading vague/positive reviews peppered with nice sounding, but meaningless, adjectives. If something's mediocre, I'd rather read about it from an author I've learned to trust, than find out after buying. When reviewers are very good, they provide context for their remarks that informs and educates; they explain which attributes actually improve or degrade performance, which enables me to view instruments, and the signal chain through which they are amplified and recorded, from a better-informed perspective.

I am interested in learning how the bassists I admire most achieve their sound - from the player's on-stage rig (strings, bass, settings, effects, and backline), through FOH. How conscious, deliberate, and knowledgeable is the bassist about FOH treatment of bass? I like to learn from both bassists and FOH pros about getting the best possible bass sound everywhere in the venue.

I think BassGear can probably provide this kind of information without pandering to celebrities or printing personality puff pieces. I'd like to see more info about the signal chain used by noteworthy bassists to amplify and record double bass - both on stage, and through FOH.

19. DesertCreature

DesertCreature

May 19, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    I only pick up a print mag, for one reason - I'm thinking about buying something. So I like product comparisons. I'll do a lot more research, including coming here and asking questions. But mags get me started on the hunt with a list of brands/models to look at.

20. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    I want to see the diary's of a secret shopper.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021