Bass Magazines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SirPoonga, Jan 18, 2005.

1. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I'm wondering what mags you guys read? I was suprised to see in the grocery store of my small hometown two bas magazines. It suprises me because bass isn't a very sought after instrument in this area. The same basses have been sitting in the music stores form some time. The Peavey Minx 110 at the pawn shop has been there for over half a year . So it's suprising tosee TWO mags on the shelf. I don't recall the titles off hand, itwas something like Bass Guitarist and Bass Players.

I was doing some search. I think Bassics would be an interesting mag for someone like me who is just starting bass and teach himself.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do a search man, this topic has been done to death.

brad cook
  3. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Hmmm, must be old ones then. I did a search and nothing showed up in the first 4 pages of results.
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Magazines are useless if you have the internet.
  5. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I've been subscribing to Bass Player for the past 4 years or so. For the most part it is a very good magazine, especially for the subscription price ($20/year?). Cool tips & techniques, some good interviews, decent reviews (although we usually hear about the new gear on TB before it gets to BP)... I find myself going back into my old issues to read interviews with players I only recently started listening to or to play around with some of the techniques I previously overlooked... Definately worth the price.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's one that even included a poll:

Also there are lots of threads with titles that reference the names of various bass magazines that have turned into discussions of all magazines. Many of then reference Bass Player in the title. As I've said in some of those threads I like Bass Player. I think it's the most consistent, diverse and professional of all of them.

brad cook
  7. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Correction, if you have FAST internet. I'm thinking of getting Bassics because it comes with a CD.
  8. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 4 subscriptions to Bass mags

Bass Player
    Guitar Worlds Bass Guitar magazine
    Bass Guitar magazine UK

I have every issue of each.
    Bassics comes with a CD of the tracks they feature. :cool:
  9. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    How would you compare Bassics tot he others based on articleS? Right now I am leaning towards it because of the CD.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Double Bassist

- is my favourite!
  11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Double Bassist is indeed an excellent publication...too bad I don't play one but I've picked it up many times and was very impressed!

I subscribe to:

Bass Player
    Bass Guitar (Guitar One's)
    Bass Guitar (UK)...need to renew as it's very good!
    Guitar Player
    Vintage Guitar
  12. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Bassics has some pretty advanced sheet music.It only
    comes out 3 times a year.
    The reason I subscribe to all of them is,I travel alot so I always need fresh reading material. :cool:
  13. i really prefer bass guitar magazine(uk) to the others, ive learned a hell of alot of valuable information from there.
    also double bassist, tho its very hard to find here.

14. BluesBrian

Aug 16, 2004
    S.F. East Bay
    I just started a subscription to Bass Player, after years of random luck at the supermarket rack.. (mostly bad luck). This is supposed to be the "bass player's standard".. we'll see if I go beyond the one year!

I recently got an issue of Bass Guitar Magazine (UK) from a book store's mag. rack.. nice.. (issue 14, with Tony Levin on the cover) .. no BS.

// Brian