Bass Magazines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FastEddie, Feb 13, 2006.

1. FastEddie

Feb 13, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    My brother and I have shared a subscription to Guitar World magazine for several years now. I find it varies between great and terrible in terms of the focus of the articles, but I wonder about the other magazines out there, specifically those geared towards bassists. I know Guitar World produces a bass magazine, but the name evades me right now...

Do you guys have subscriptions to any magazines, specifically bass player magazines? Are they any better than the ones geared towards guitar players in general? Etc.
  2. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I find that Bass Player is the best and most reliable overall on the market right now. I've picked up a few of those "Guitar World" Bass Guitar magazines and didn't really like them. Any magazine that includes transcriptions with TAB only is inferior in my opinion.
  3. I can't speak for all bass magazines but most are just a vehicle for pushing gear. Way more information online than in one of those flimsy overpriced rags.
  4. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Yeah but I'm always so excited when I call home from school and my brother goes, "Oh yeah, your bassplayer came today." I mean, sure it isn't as great as it used to be, but I still get really happy.
  5. +1

I used to buy Bassplayer and Bass Guitar magazine regularly until I found this place. There's nothing really in those magazines that I don't find here.

6. i just subscribed to bass player :hyper:

not really a point when you can go to talkbass, but its still fun to have
  7. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i subscribe to 1 and only 1 magazine. VINTAGE GUITAR MAGAZINE.
    here are the reasons:
    1]. it is a very well produced magazine with so many different articles on so many different aspects of performing, collecting, repair and the best music reviews i have ever read.

2].they always have at least 1 article on a bassist sometimes more.
    3].classified section to die for.
    4]. the staff several years ago helped me get in touch with dan armstrong. they went over and beyond setting up a meeting between us on the phone.
    5].the only magazine i have ever read where i read every articloe even if it has nothing to do with anything i am interested in.
    6]. the interviews are very well written and not the same old same old i am used to seeing in gw or gp and even bp for that matter.
    7]. they give equal time for the new gear as they do for the vintage stuff.
    8]. the staff is awesome when you have a problem, again they bend over backwards to help fix a problem.
    9]. it is the music magazine that all others should bow down to.
    10] i will never ever ever let my subscription lapse.:hyper: :D