Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Magazines

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrtaz65, Oct 1, 2002.

1. mrtaz65

mrtaz65

Aug 23, 2002
    Portland, OR
    OK, here's a relatively easy question (famous last words..). What Bass Magazines does everybody subscribe to? I have seen a couple and haven't really got a feel for them yet and have heard several complaints about their "impartialness" when it comes to advertisers. So what would you recommend?

For background, I am in the US, I just started to learn to play the bass and like pretty much all genres of music.

MrTaz65

2. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I dig Bass Player Magazine... haven't really found them to be partial to larger corps... my company just can't afford a big ad... but we do advertise there and the people at BPM have always been cool. You can find some great lessons and articles- as well as gear reviews....

3. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Bass Player magazine is what I wait around for come the 15th of the month. I haven't missed an issue in 2 yrs (not saying much there). Those others like 'Bassics' are kinda boring and not enough of the lessons and reviews and the good interviews.IMO

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah Bass Player here...sadly I missed a whole year of it when I was in overseas this past year but I'm about to subscribe again.

My only beef with bass player is that (maybe it's just me) they seem to give almost every product a pretty good review. All the products can't be good can they? I wish they'd be more critical in their product reviews. Has anyone else noticed this?

I still find it to be a consistently high quality mag though. Good stuff.

brad cook

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I haven't read Bass Player for years. It was getting a bit boring, I'd need to check out if it has got any better. A german magazine Guitarre und Bass looks very intresting, at least they review all kinds of intresting stuff. It might be a fun way to learn german...

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Bassplayer since 89! they are the one
    I have subsribed to Bass frontiers and Bassics but they are both very sporatic in sending issues in-fact I paid for a two year sub for Bassfrontiers and probably got 4 issues and it's been about 7 months since I got the last one.
    Bassics is a little better but not much.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany