Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Makeover - Modulus Q6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Well, instead of selling my '97 Modulus Q6, I decided I'd give it a makeover and a cleaning. The most glaring differences are:

* It's now Pearl White (courtesy of Ty Carpenter at Roxy Guitar Finishing - superb job).
    * I've installed fret dots - cause I like 'em
    * I cleaned all pots with contact spray... NO MORE STATIC
    * New strings.

It's like a brand new bass!!!! I'm psyched now. No more GAS.

Before Shot:
    [​IMG]

After Shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I like the before shot better. *shrugs* both are beautiful:)

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very cool! I've got a refinished bass coming back in a couple of days, and I'm very excited.

It is like getting a brand new bass. :hyper:

So, what made you choose white? Did you not like the look of the curly maple? I went from a transparent wine over lacewood to burgandy mist metallic, so I'm also covering up woodgrain.

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I like it (the original was nice too). I've been thinking of having my Metallic Plum (pink to me) Genesis 5 redone in pearl. Can you give an approximate cost?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Good solid paint job - but it's difficult to see what you've covered up, given that cameras and transparent red finishes don't play well with one another.

6. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    The quilt on the maple top didn't thrill me at all. I built a strat from AAAAA quilted maple and a Jazz Bass from a AAA quilted maple top, and this one didn't even register a single A. It was the standard quilt from Modulus. I like the paint a lot better.

7. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I didn't like the original quilt at all. It faded towards the middle. I like the white a lot better.

Here's a closer look at the quilt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, that's pretty dead quilt. :hyper: for covering it up.

9. And shortly before your pictures loaded in my browser I was trying to picture how my bass would look in white with black hardware and an ebony fretboard, well, Thanks! Haha, I like both looks, but I'll have to agree on the figuring could've been, perhaps, more balanced or pronounced, but nice bass nonetheless :D Btw, what material are your fret dots? do you have any close ups of them handy?

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No offense, but that quilt kinda sucked. I don't blame you a bit for covering it up.

Great looking bass, BTW. :D

11. I really like the new pearl-white finish. Really classy looking, contrasting with the black. Gorgeous bass. The fingerboard dots were a great addition, too.

-Nick

12. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I got the precut pearl fret dots from Stewmac...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Inlay_material:_Pre-cut_inlays/Pre-Cut_Pearl_Dots.html

Pretty cheap. I found a tutorial on installing them myself here...

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Structural/InlayDots/dots3.html

Aside from a couple of alignment screwups, they came out the way I expected.

13. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Thanks Nick. I think it looks classy myself. I think I first thought of this while viewing one of those Steinberger X25's over at MusicYo in white. Then I decided I wanted white metallic. I'm glad I went in that direction.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1. Love the pearl white, especially against the black pups, hardware, and neck! OTOH I prefer clean fretboards, but the dots aren't a big deal so no -1 for that. :p

I think inazone has a silver Quantum... that one's also very cool.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Aj, if that bass could talk, it would have some sories to tell! i like it white, and agree, the quilt was weak, but its what Modulus had at the time...i have a videotape of that bass playing in front of 65, 000 - i am glad it is in good hands!

16. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I've lovin' it now AG. It's a brand new bass, with a past. Thanks for breakin' her in.

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I like it...the pearl white suits that bass much better IMO.

Enjoy!
    Marshall

18. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I think it looks a lot better now. I don't usually care for face dots but it looks nice on that instrument.

Nice floor too! :D

19. Obsius29A

Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    looks so much better now. Gives me gas for a modulus!

20. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I prefer the updated version! That quilt was rather boring ;)